Best (cheapest) way to keep fv at right temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I make a STC, which I have 3 of them, outlets, wires, box it comes out the same price.

My STC build pictured above costs £15.43 for everything you see in the pic. The InkBird looks like a good product which is well designed but at twice the price (using the link above). IMO if you have the skills/tools to do it yourself it's not worth the extra cost.

If i read correctly the ambient temp where you intend to ferment is 14-16C..

As the ideal temp for most ale yeasts is 18-19C And the activity of the yeast is exothermic, I would suggest simply insulating the brew bucket well should enable you to maintain a good temp without any further input. Perhaps pitch at upto 24C to give the yeast a boost when building up a population and insulate well ;)

the yeast will still probably ferment @16c but it will be a slower process.

Altenativly select a yeast like US-05 which will ferment well even if the temps drop lower
http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf

Heres me about to be banned...Inkbird blah blah blah... another piece of kit that you dont need.
Take one insulated brewing cabinet..old fridge...build your own box...whatever it doesnt matter as long as you can get you FV in, with 12 inches clearance underneath.
1 x electric fan heater (BandQ)...�����£9.99
1 x digital plug in thermostat (on-line) i think I paid �����£12.00
And Im sure you can work the rest out for yourself.
Keep It Simple

I think the advantage of the inkbirds are supposed to be they are good for DIY dunces like myself who are unable to 'work it out for themselves'. I think the advantage s supposed to be it's simply a case of plug it it and away you go.
I'm even lower tech/keep it even simpler and use a brewtech brew bag which is just essentially a massive cool bag which you put 2L ice bottles in to cool the FV.

If were going down that route of bits of kit you don't really need you could even dispense with brew fridges, cool bags and inkbirds and just use temp tolerant yeast and free ferment ;)

I'm not too much of a dunce but a ready made unit for 6,000 yen!? Good deal. Wires and outlets and utility boxes are a little pricey here in Japan.

I built the brew fridge last week and so far it's working perfectly. The fridge had to kick in it's been so warm today! Can't believe it was only a week ago I had to camp in the snow!

I'm pretty much a know nothing when it comes to electrics and I managed it so if anyone wants any help with theirs, just ask. Don't bother buying an expensive box to house it all in, I just used an old ice cream tub!

I use the cupboard under the stairs and a lamp with a 100w bulb. A cheap, battery powered weather station with temperature sensor on a wire tells me it stays around 20 degrees.

Any thoughts on a tube heater vs a brew belt for using in a fridge.

My local home brew store as the belts for about the same price as the heater.

I recently bought a large cool bag from Morrisons £3 (the ones with insulation inside) Its large enough to fit pretty much all the fermentor in with space to slide ice packs down some sides. Since this weekend its stayed with 16-18 - changing the packs once a day. Pour little brew had a heat spike since pitching so needed a quick solution - requires abit more maintenance and doesn't look too pretty like a brew fridge but it seems to be working for me.

Back