Coolbox Mash Tun - 28l or 32l?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian_r

Brewing Numpty
Reaction score
Currently just do BIAB at the moment but going to build a mash tun out of a cool box following the excellent instructions from the post by HisDudeness.

Would a 32 litre coolbox be better than a 28 litre coolbox for a 23 litre batch? I'm just wondering if the extra headroom on the larger box would have an effect on the temperature and if this would result in greater drop during the mash?

I use a 32ltr mash tun and would definitely recommend it if you are going to batch sparge. I get quite close to the top of the tun with the first addition of water plus the mash liquor that's already in there, I certainly wouldn't want to go any smaller.

I don't have any trouble keeping temp in the tun. I've wrapped some of this round mine http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thermal-Insulation-Foil-Roll-600mmx8m/p/210022 that I had in the garage and throw a sleeping bag over the top and lose just under 1degree of heat in a 90minute mash.

I'm thinking about making a tun aswell but fancy doing some big imperial beers anybody know max grain bills for various size box's?

Thanks, went for the 32 litre box from Amazon. Arrived yesterday so need to pick up the parts for the manifold and tap.

Back