Sparge water temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Unkenly

Not a real doctor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was just wondering how one maintains sparge water at the correct temperature?
I'll be using a Grainfather so the sparging process involves pouring jugs of heated water over the grains.

I was thinking of getting one of those catering urns with a temperature control on it. (I'm assuming that would do a pretty good job.)

In the absence of such a device, how would one go about it using standard household equipment (big pot and stove) and how on the money does the water temp need to be?

Any top tips much appreciated.

You can get a Grainfather urn for sparge water and as prices of hot water urns go they are very competitive, and of course they are made for the job of keeping the sparge water tempture just right, failing that a large pot or two on the stove will work ok but you will have to keep an eye on the water tempture, maybe two pots could be easier as you can top up the heat of the water alternately as they each cool

Latest posts

Back