What yeast is recommended to harvest

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I would like to know what yeast forum members would recommended to re-use (harvest) as this is something I think I would like to try. I've heard some folk advocate washing the yeast while others just empty the entire trub into a sealed container refrigerate and then re-use.

I for obvious lazy reasons like the sound of the second method and would like to know if its as simple as that?

for example how long between batches would a refrigerated batch of trub last?
is it a case of just making a new batch of beer topping up your FV then dumping in the whole container of trub? Or stirring it or what?

Also be interesting to know if anyone is still using a batch of yeast from years ago and approx. how many batches they've used.

I re-use the trub yeast by leaving a litre or so of beer in the FV at racking time, swirling it around a bit and pouring it into 250ml PET bottles via a jug. About 6-8 is possible from one brew, but there is no point on keeping more that you will use in 10 weeks or so.

Everything carefully sanitised with Star San an the whole process done with all reasonable haste!

Green beer helps it keep in the fridge and you pitch the contents of one bottle into a subsequent brew.

I only do this once with each dry yeast packet. Usually US 05, but have done similar with Coopers, Belle Saison, Belgian Ale yeast etc.

Most yeasts can be harvested from trub, although some yeasts, like WLP300, are know to change their character unless they are top cropped.

If leaving a litre of beer in with the grub and bottling will it not impact the flavour of the next beer?

I assume you'd reuse an IPA trub to an IPA? For example would using grub from a Rye IPA impact on a Pale Ale /IPA?

Very interesting. I have a Rye IPA I'm kegging/bottling Sunday that used Nottingham Dried Yeast. May reuse the Trub to pitch the next brew I'm doing on Monday - a Tropic Thunder clone.

If I did, could I then reuse the Tropic Thunder trub or after that one use it's done?

Back