Youngs American IPA Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andywilde16

Reaction score
I am a fairly Newbie to Home brewing and this is my 2nd kit a Youngs American IPA.

I am after some advice as my fermentation seems to be not going by the instructions - I appreciate that these things being natural may sometimes not follow the instructions.

The wort has been in the FV for 14 days today and even though the instructions state that fermentation should be complete in 15 days judging by the airlock activity (bubbles every 45-55 seconds) it is still going. I dry hopped last night as the gravity reading was at 1.010 as instructed but it says the final gravity will be around 1.007!

The starting gravity reading was 1.058 and the temperature of the wort has been constant at 21 degrees.

Is it normal for these type of beer kits to go over the suggested fermentation time?

I find the higher abv beers take longer than stated all kits will state a fermentation time but there are a lot of factors to take into account in wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I am hoping it will not take too much longer then - will the bubbling stop when fermentation is complete? Then check the gravity remains stable over a few days?

Exactly that Andy the bubbling will stop but check the gravity over a couple of days and then bottle I've just bought this kit along with an American amber ale so have high hopes

Thanks for the advice, from the sample I had last night when testing the gravity and from the smell of it when the addition of the hops I have high hopes too!!

The reviews are good for it and I like a very hoppy IPA so hoping all good - just a little stronger than I normally go for! :-?

I suggest you reread the instructions that come with this kit. It does take a long time to ferment out as the instructions say. Mine took well over three weeks, and others in the kit thread here have said the same
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=45221
And if its still going and still murky looking and the suggested dry hop period is finished don't be tempted to bottle the beer, leave it alone until its properly finished, better still clearing as well. Seven days dry hop is fine, especially if you like hoppy beers.

I let this ferment out for circa. 3 weeks. Had this bottled for a month and it still abit 'twangy'. I dry hopped it for 4 days, I wonder if it was the dry hopping. May have to get this on again, or try the apa. I would suggest trying a partial mash/ extract kit that's are available. The difference steeping grains make is unreal - in my opinion that is.

Mine took a month to ferment out. I've got another one now...i put it on a week ago and went on holiday...good job I fitted a tube and not an airlock. It's still got a huge krausen and is pushing through the tube. Be patient..it's a good drink.

Cheers

Clint

I had a huge krausen on mine which blow through the airlock on numerous occassions, not sure how to make a blow off tube! :-?

I am now prepared for it to take a lot longer to ferment out, just hope the hops will not ruin it as put them in at day 15!

A blow off tube is easy to make. If your airlock fits into the small black rubber grommet in your fv lid just get some syphon tube and replace. It needs to be a tight fit. Then run the tube into an old bottle with a bit of sanitised water in to keep air from going down the pipe...all the foam etc will now just bubble into the bottle. If your tubing doesnt fit snuggly into the lid grommet you can adapt it with any other bits you have or even cut the bit that fits off an airlock.

Cheers

Clint

My airlock does indeed fit into a black grommit, how long does the tube need to be and how big a bottle?

I use empty cordial bottles of around a litre size or a bit smaller in my fridge....tube as required...to a couple of inches to the bottom of the bottle...you can always jig it round to suit. I use a plug of kitchen roll in the neck to grip the tube to keep it 5-10 mm under the liquid surface to allow for bubbling.

Cheers

Clint

Well the brew finally came to end on Saturday night and has been bottled today so I will wait in anticipation of when it will be ready to drink!!

Exactly that Andy the bubbling will stop but check the gravity over a couple of days and then bottle I've just bought this kit along with an American amber ale so have high hopes

I've done a link to a Young's A.A.A. please feel free to join it when UV got it's going/complete

Cheers

Hi all 👍this is only my second ever brew so extremely new to the hobby 😃
My brew seems to be stuck on 1010? I have added hops as per instructions
It’s been fermenting for 15 days now at a steady 20*.Is this normal? Do I have to get it lower to 1007 before I can bottle the beer? It started fermentation at 1052
All help appreciate
Oh yeah and have tasted it and it’s lovely 😊 thanks

Back