5ltr Mini-Kegs/Casks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK117

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat but the search facility isn't working (mods?)

Due to my rugby World Cup exploits I have two empty 5ltr mini-kegs available for refilling and I'm thinking of doing half a 2-can kit as 10ltr and splitting it into the two kegs.

These seem like really handy bits of kit, but I can't find a great deal of evidence that people are using them. They seem ideal for a session and it seems a lot less effort than filling 10 bottles!

Can anyone relay their experiences with these containers? I'm particularly interested in how much priming sugar to use and the cleaning regimen.

Cheers :)

I've got one of these, but I find it ****; my last brew went down the drain as it wouldn't carb up in the PB and the tap was terribly leaky at the seal, no matter what I did!

However these PB's are good for bottling. I've fitted it with a bottling tap and I find there is very little dead space at the bottom. Handy for bottling 10L batches.

I use the mini kegs.

I'm assuming you mean the goblin type ones you buy from Tesco and Morrison's.

Pull the red tab up and off the top. Then push the red 'L' shape into the keg.

This should make it easier to pull the black rubber stopper out.

I just rinse throughout, sterilize and prime with anywhere from 6-8 tsp of glucose. Depending on style.

I only bottle with swingtops for friends. And can't afford a corny just yet.

I've also used them (although mine are empty currently :drunk:) i used pliers to pull the stopper out, but this ahs scratched the mating face, meaning the seal isn't great on some of them. So I'd recommend the other technique to try and avoid air leaks.

I've also used them (although mine are empty currently :drunk:) i used pliers to pull the stopper out, but this ahs scratched the mating face, meaning the seal isn't great on some of them. So I'd recommend the other technique to try and avoid air leaks.

I scratched one like this too. No leaks just a rusty surface. Which can't be good :-(

They're 6 quid plus postage but you can buy the rubber stoppers too.

Pouring a good pint from one takes a little practice though.

I've just finished a keg I opened Sunday. and the last bit was just as clear and carbed as the last. So I'll be sticking with these for now.

And yes if you gently pull the ring off the top and then push the next bit into the keg (once empty) it makes it far easier to pull the stopper out. Just reassemble with the valve closed and pop back in when you keg.

Simple. :-)

I have reused these as well quite successfully, I would say just prime at the normal rate which will probably be somewhere around 20-30ish grams depending on the style of beer you are using. As for cleaning try and rinse it out straight after use flushing out the tap thoroughly, I would then just sanitise as normal when ready to be used

Latest posts

Back