Apple and pineapple wow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to make some rhubarb this year what recipe did you use please

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I am going to make some rhubarb this year what recipe did you use please

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Here's the Rhubarb wine recipe that I've made in the past. Quite simple but produces an nice dry wine:

Ingredients for 4.5L demijohn:
3 lb rhubarb
3 lb sugar
1 sachet general purpose wine yeast.
Cup of strong black tea.
Camden tablets

Procedure:
Wipe the rhubarb, but do not peel. Chop into small pieces. Place in a large bowl and cover with sugar.

Leave overnight until the sugar has dissolved. Strain off the syrup and cover the rhubarb with water to rinse off any remaining sugar. Add this liquid to the syrup and make it up to 1 gallon with water and a cup of cold black tea to add astringency (yes this really does work).

Add the wine yeast and transfer the liquid to a demi-john fitted with an airlock. Leave to ferment, which can be anything from a week to three weeks. Using a hydrometer, Stop fermentation using two Campden tablets when the reading reaches around 1.01. Leave the wine to clear naturally. Pour the wine into sterilised bottles, and leave for a minimum of 3 months. I find it is best after about 6 months - but this wine needs to be drunk when relatively young as it does not store well long term - 2 years max.

Last night I cracked the first bottle of the Pineapple juice wine I made above in Post # 9,

it went down a treat, the missus wasn't into drinking so I finished the bottle myself! it has a nice pineapple taste with an aftertaste in the mouth that felt like pineapple chunk sweets, definitely not drain fodder.

Here is another recipe for rhubarb for ya jotley.

my recipe.for Rhubarb wine
2kg of rhubarb chopped into 1 -2 inch chunks and put in a pan with 100ml of water and 100g of sugar, heat and stir until rhubarb is softening and starting to break apart, turn off heat and cover and leave to cool, then chuck into FV with 4L of water with crushed campden tab and the juice of a lemon or two, add 1tsp pectolase, stir well and leave overnight and next day boil 1L water and melt 800g sugar add to FV, add more to hit your preferred OG (I aim for OG around 1075 -1080 but add more sugar if you like stronger wine)add 1 tsp yeast, 1tsp yeast nutrient, leave to ferment for a week stirring daily, sieve/strain off pulp into a clean dj and leave to finish fermenting and clearing.

I've just started off a few gallons of this myself this evening

Here is another recipe for rhubarb for ya jotley.

my recipe.for Rhubarb wine
2kg of rhubarb chopped into 1 -2 inch chunks and put in a pan with 100ml of water and 100g of sugar, heat and stir until rhubarb is softening and starting to break apart, turn off heat and cover and leave to cool, then chuck into FV with 4L of water with crushed campden tab and the juice of a lemon or two, add 1tsp pectolase, stir well and leave overnight and next day boil 1L water and melt 800g sugar add to FV, add more to hit your preferred OG (I aim for OG around 1075 -1080 but add more sugar if you like stronger wine)add 1 tsp yeast, 1tsp yeast nutrient, leave to ferment for a week stirring daily, sieve/strain off pulp into a clean dj and leave to finish fermenting and clearing.

I've just started off a few gallons of this myself this evening

What does this end up like? I've only ever made a rhubarb wine using a recipe from an old book and it ends up with quite a 'distinctive' taste and almost sherry strength. As a result 1 gallon takes a while to get through.
Is this one more of a 'generalist' or does it take some getting used to? We've got a huge quantity of rhubarb in the garden and I've been reluctant to turn it into wine that is just going to fill cupboards...

Mine come out like a nice fruity light wine, with a nice hit of rhubarb, very quaffable IMHO and its my favorite wine.
Maybe it had too much sugar in if it was like sherry

Sounds excellent! I'll dig up the old recipe to compare sugar levels.

I'll be trying out your recipe this weekend. :thumb:

I started another batch last weekend, I had just under 8kg of rhubarb and it needed just over 4kg of sugar in 5 gallons to give 1080, I gave it its daily stir just now and it's looking, smelling and tasting good :thumb:

I started another batch last weekend, I had just under 8kg of rhubarb and it needed just over 4kg of sugar in 5 gallons to give 1080, I gave it its daily stir just now and it's looking, smelling and tasting good :thumb:

(Been off forum a while)

Just thought I'd mention... Your rhubarb wine recipe is a total revelation! I was really enjoying WOWs but this has completely outclassed anything else I've made in the last 18 months. Now hiding the last bottle until I can harvest more from the garden. :thumb:

(Been off forum a while)

Just thought I'd mention... Your rhubarb wine recipe is a total revelation! I was really enjoying WOWs but this has completely outclassed anything else I've made in the last 18 months. Now hiding the last bottle until I can harvest more from the garden. :thumb:

Thank you, I'm pleased to hear it turned out well for you :grin:
it's my favourite and I ended up at my recipe after trying a few others and experimenting. I've made almost 10 gallons this year.

BUT, I don't like the way the gorgeous colour changes when you add campden tab and pot sorb, but I'm still experimenting with getting a sparkling version right, I only managed one sparkling batch last year and resorted to stabilising the rest, it doesn't really taste any different I just prefer the gorgeous natural colour and a bit of fizz makes it. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back