Look what I got

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice bargain there mate. I know there's an argument for 'it's not proper brewing', but the time saving and convenience factor is appealing and your cost is in the ball park of most shiny traditional set ups.

I might start saving!

Yeah, even I was a bit of a naysayer, thinking it wasn't proper brewing but all it does is control mash and boil temps easily and precisely. It's no more not proper brewing than using a brew fridge to control fermentation temps. I don't think anyone would argue that a fridge wasn't proper brewing. You still have to devise recipes, control fermentation and conditioning etc. And there's still plenty of heavy lifting and cleaning at the less glamorous end of the hobby.

I never understand the 'its not proper brewing' thing, everything from kits to AG is brewing as far as I'm concerned. The only difference is the level of control. Your still able to put your personal stamp on it. Even a kit where most of the work is done for you, you are still able to tweek it to add personal touches

I've never heard anyone saying that before. How the hell is it "not proper brewing"? By the same chalk, does that mean that formula 1 these days is not proper driving, because they have launch control and automatic transmission or whatever.? Cobblers, I reckon anyone who says that is deflecting the fact that they want one themselves.

I can't see the it's not proper brewing argument either, is it not closer to the commercial model than a cool box an a boiler? Or is commercial brewing not real brewing?

I've never heard anyone saying that before. How the hell is it "not proper brewing"? By the same chalk, does that mean that formula 1 these days is not proper driving, because they have launch control and automatic transmission or whatever.? Cobblers, I reckon anyone who says that is deflecting the fact that they want one themselves.

iirc There was a thread a while back that discussed wether automated brewing was 'proper' brewing. It stemmed from a youtube vid where the guy said he'd given up his BM or GF (can't remember which one) to go back to 'proper' brewing

iirc There was a thread a while back that discussed wether automated brewing was 'proper' brewing. It stemmed from a youtube vid where the guy said he'd given up his BM or GF (can't remember which one) to go back to 'proper' brewing

Each to their own, but I really don't see that argument. Ok, some people will prefer one method of reaching the same result as another method, but that's not to say that either method is wrong. If the end result is beer and you have decided how it looks, tastes and smells, then whatever method you used to get there is all brewing surely.

Each to their own, but I really don't see that argument. Ok, some people will prefer one method of reaching the same result as another method, but that's not to say that either method is wrong. If the end result is beer and you have decided how it looks, tastes and smells, then whatever method you used to get there is all brewing surely.

Thats my thoughts on it too :thumb:

I guess my own personal concern before using one was whether it takes the fun out of it. Part of the joy is tinkering about with stuff in the shed, but this is just something else to tinker with, that does a better job than the previous stuff I tinkered with.

I certainly won't miss hand vorlaufing. Might have to change my description though.

I never understand the 'its not proper brewing' thing, everything from kits to AG is brewing as far as I'm concerned. The only difference is the level of control. Your still able to put your personal stamp on it. Even a kit where most of the work is done for you, you are still able to tweek it to add personal touches

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that using kits is not really brewing. Everything has been done for you, barring mixing in some water. Sure you'll end up with some beer that you've fermented, but have you actually brewed it? Not for me.

You wouldn't serve up a microwave meal and call yourself a chef.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that using kits is not really brewing. Everything has been done for you, barring mixing in some water. Sure you'll end up with some beer that you've fermented, but have you actually brewed it? Not for me.

So if a chef uses bought in stock, or pre-shelled peas, or washed potatoes is he cheating? It's using a part prepared ingredient to save time. If you use kits, YOU still decide what yeast to use, YOU still decide on fermentation temperature, YOU still decide if you add extra fermentables or hops. You are in control of the end result, so for me it's still brewing.

I'm in no way trying to say making a kit is as involved as AG brewing but as GHW says a big part of it is the enjoyment and saying at the end of the day, 'I made this'.

I've never really liked the microwave meal comparison as you do literally nothing to a microwave meal just put it in the microwave. With a kit there are still some processes that that the kit brewer is involved in; adding water, yeast, choosing which extra fermentables to add. I bet noone has ever said, 'I made this' with a micowave meal but plenty of people are proud of there results with kits. I know I was

So if a chef uses bought in stock, or pre-shelled peas, or washed potatoes is he cheating? It's using a part prepared ingredient to save time. If you use kits, YOU still decide what yeast to use, YOU still decide on fermentation temperature, YOU still decide if you add extra fermentables or hops. You are in control of the end result, so for me it's still brewing.

Sorry, I disagree. The chef would still have to decide what to do with those ingredients that you mentioned, it's not predetermined. You could compare that to extract brewing I suppose.

I'd also say that the majority of people would use the supplied yeast and that you can add what you want to a kit, but it won't drastically alter the finished beer.

im not sure a proper chef would do those things which maybe disproves your point.

Anyway,let's not get upset about it. To remedy the analogy, some people microwave food. Some make Michelin starred haute cuisine. But they're all cooking. there's just different levels of skills and involvement.

Latest posts

Back