Wilkos bottle capper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Regular.
Reaction score
I bought the Wilkos bottle capping tool when I started brewing last month. Yesterday, halfway through my second bottling session it stopped working completely.

The first ever bottle worked perfectly, but after that it got steadily worse; from needing 4 or 5 attempts per bottle to get on right, to 10-15 attempts. Luckily, I had a few swing cap bottles to finish the batch off.

Looking at the tool, the metal parts which are supposed to clamp onto the bottle are bent and won't clamp onto the bottle anymore.

Has anybody had problems with it?

YES. A lot of people have had problems with the wilko/youngs capper, including me. My first one lasted about a year and was killed by a wynchwood bottle, so I bought another which lasted about 3 brews. I therefore bought a bench capper - absolutely superb

I took it back to wilkos after my second bottling session as it stopped working, and they did a straight swap for me.... I had the box but no receipt, no issues with the exchange though.

I took it back to wilkos after my second bottling session as it stopped working, and they did a straight swap for me.... I had the box but no receipt, no issues with the exchange though.

I want a refund. I don't want to exchange a product which isn't fit for purpose.

Worth a go, replacement was much better, moved onto a bench capper now though, £20ish new off eBay, offer from one of the HB sellers, worth hunting for.

I've used the plastic Wilkos capper since starting out, had no problems. Must admit I've been looking at bench cappers though.

Jay

C##p. I have a plastic handled one 'Youngs' sometimes it works first time others i have to work around the bottle:doh:
New one to be purchased but not one of those

My young's branded one from my LHBS has been great to date, my paranoia has me wanting to buy a spare and thinking I'll go to my LHBS again rather then wilko. I may look at a bench capper as my old desk is my storage table in the shed.

My young's branded one from my LHBS has been great to date, my paranoia has me wanting to buy a spare and thinking I'll go to my LHBS again rather then wilko. I may look at a bench capper as my old desk is my storage table in the shed.

Even though they're called bench capper you don't need to bolt them down to a bench or anything. They really should be called free standing cappers

I use my 'bench' capper on the floor, need to put some muscle into it though!

Even though they're called bench capper you don't need to bolt them down to a bench or anything. They really should be called free standing cappers

That doesn't help my indecision...

Yeah the Wychwood bottles have a large bulge below the rim than standard bottles and just do not work with the Wilko capper. Just don't use them.

The bottles I were using were standard amber 500ml bottles...nothing special, but the capper still died.

I've sent a complaint e-mail to Wilkos and am awaiting a response.

Back