Time to get a refractometer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi,

I've now broken 3 hydrometer, a trend that I can see continuing.

So I'm thinking about buying a refractometer...

Does the refractometer replace the hydrometer?

What do I need to be aware of before buying one?

Thanks,
JT

Go for it. It's all I use now.

Online calculation will help with final reading as it can be affected by the alcohol present.

It kinda replaces a hydrometer, but not completely. They do have advantages though.

Doesn't work with alcohol, so for final gravity you either need to use an online calculator or a hydrometer, for a 'normal' beer starting at about 1.042 it'll read about 5brix (1.020) when it's actually 1.009. It does stop though, so you can at least monitor fermentation.

You still need to cool a boiling sample without letting it evaporate. Simplest way is to pipet a bit out onto a cold plate, then pipet from that onto the refractometer. Some are auto compensating for temp, but it takes time (the body of the refractometer and the wort have to reach the same temp).

I have both, they both have their uses. I'd prefer to use a hydrometer, but the refractometer is the more useful when sparging or for monitoring fermentation (and you don't want to lose half a pint every day checking it).

Stop being clumsy, a refractometer is a glass prism, it wont take kindly to being dropped either!

Now, what you really want is a Density Meter, this one from Anton Paar should be OK, in fact it dam well should be for �£3220 (plus �£12 shipping)!

Most of the ones on Amazon look to be more or less the same sort at the same price range (around the 20 quid mark). Are they any good?

It's pretty simple technology that is used in all of them. It's just name, construction material and quality of prism I suppose. Go for it. I tend to use both as they both have the same error.

Around .5% for refractometer and .002 for they hydro.

Quick question - is there a hydrometer available with easier to read markings?
I saw a photograph of one somewhere on here but can't find it again.

Klaus, I recently picked one up from the Malt Miller. This one does 1.000 to 1.060 which is fine for me as I would rarely make a beer with a OG higher than 1.060. If you make a lot of strong beer or wine there is another version for 1.050 - 1.110. It is a lot easier to read than a standard hydrometer.

You might need a slightly larger trial jar. Rob threw one in for me as I was making a large order and it wasn't up on their website yet but he said it would be up soon. It does actually just fit in my standard trial jar but it is a very tight fit.

Very impressed with the service from Malt Miller though. A prompt response to questions and a freeby trial jar.

I'm also interested in the expanded range hydrometers. Although they can be expensive.

When I visited high house farm brewery they had an array of them.

For the trial jar they used what looked like big drill but cases. The ones with a screw threaded plastic container. Like kango drill bit cases.

I bought a cheap one off eBay from Hong Kong but IMO the calibration of the damn thing is way out,done a brew today and it said brix was around 12.2 which should be around 1048/9 but hydrometer says 1060

I bought a cheap one off eBay from Hong Kong but IMO the calibration of the damn thing is way out,done a brew today and it said brix was around 12.2 which should be around 1048/9 but hydrometer says 1060

I mixed a know sugar solution and tested both devices side by side, hence how I know my error.

Maybe as was said,your refractometer could be at a drastically different temperature to the wort.

I find the best thing about it is you can take samples far easier as you only need a drip.
Limits time with the lid off.

Hop and grape do a precision final gravity hydrometer but it only reads a narrow range, great for near the end of fermentation though.
They do indeed and I used one earlier. Really easy to use and I would recommend it. Nice clear markings as well, very easy to line up with the meniscus when you are reading it assuming it's not.too dark a beer of course. Worth every penny I reckon.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

The S1500 Easy Hydrometer is the clearest I've found. I have poor vision so take a photo of it with my iPad when it is floating in the beer!

[/http://www.stevenson-reeves.co.uk/hydrometers/HBWB.htm

The S1500 Easy Hydrometer is the clearest I've found. I have poor vision so take a photo of it with my iPad when it is floating in the beer!

[/http://www.stevenson-reeves.co.uk/hydrometers/HBWB.htm

Thanks for the link - worth considering.

Also thanks to the earlier poster regarding what's on offer from the Malt Miller - also worth considering. I also agree that MM give good service.

Latest posts

Back