Commercial IPAs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've loved both versions of Punk IPA, Goose Island, and Williams Bros Joker and Caesar Augustus. Eden mill's Shipwreck is lovely too.

However, hardly any other American style IPA I've tried has got me particularly excited and most of them I feel have very little in the way of hop aroma/flavour - it's just a lot of bitterness and not very much else to me.

Recently I've had 13 Guns (which I enjoyed but couldn't pick out much in the way of flavour) and Drygate (I picked out a bit more hop flavour).

However, I'm keen to get hold of some that might be my cup of tea. I've picked up a Fourpure Session IPA from Tesco this lunchtime because it lists the hops it uses, and there's a shop about 10mins walk from the office with a massive craft beer selection. I welcome any recommendations.

I went to Wetherspoons on Sunday with the missus....there were a few cans of IPAs which were spot on...can't remember the names though.

I went to Wetherspoons on Sunday with the missus....there were a few cans of IPAs which were spot on...can't remember the names though.

I had a couple of IPAs from the hand pump which were ok when I was in Wetherspoons last week. Can't remember their names either.

I'd recommend the following:

Magic Rock - Cannonball
Magic Rock - High Wire
Northern Monk - New World IPA
Summer Wine - Oregon (this is possibly the best American IPA brewed in the UK i've tasted)
Beavertown - GammaRay
Buxton - Axe Edge

Not sure you'll be able to get these in a supermarket mind. A lot of them are pretty local (well same county) to me so i'm not sure how far afield they travel.

In my local Thai restaurant i first tried, Founders All Day IPA, think its been around for a while but its a new one on me. Delicious, mind you it wants to be, it was 4 quid for a 330ml tin!!!!

Sixpoint Bengali maybe? I know 'Spoons usually have that, very nice indeed.
Brewdog Jack Hammer & Born To Die are both great
Beavertown Gamma Ray
Stone IPA

I've loved both versions of Punk IPA, Goose Island, and Williams Bros Joker and Caesar Augustus. Eden mill's Shipwreck is lovely too.

However, hardly any other American style IPA I've tried has got me particularly excited and most of them I feel have very little in the way of hop aroma/flavour - it's just a lot of bitterness and not very much else to me.

Recently I've had 13 Guns (which I enjoyed but couldn't pick out much in the way of flavour) and Drygate (I picked out a bit more hop flavour).

However, I'm keen to get hold of some that might be my cup of tea. I've picked up a Fourpure Session IPA from Tesco this lunchtime because it lists the hops it uses, and there's a shop about 10mins walk from the office with a massive craft beer selection. I welcome any recommendations.

I've had the Fourpure 'Session IPA' from M&S and it's fantastic, as you say it lists the hops : Mosaic, Simcoe, Cascade and Centennial.
3 others that I can certainly recommend, also from M&S, are Northern Monk 'New World IPA' with Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Galaxy, Northern Monk 'Eternal Session IPA' with Simcoe and Centennial and 'White IPA', doesn't list the hops but very 'orangy' so possibly Amarillo but it does say there is orange peel in there. The first two are 330ml tins and the last one a 330ml bottle.
Enjoy :thumb:

I am new to IPA's (sort of)...for years I picked up almost exclusively porters and stouts. I had a hoppy IPA in Cornwall and now my tastes have completely changed. Punk IPA and Goose Island I also really like myself, so good choice, 13 guns is a bit meh. I really like Cloudwater's Douple IPA's, they are coming out too often for me to keep track of at the moment though and are obviously strong being DIPA's, though they don't taste the 9% or so they usually are. I really like Founder's All Day IPA, Magic Rock's Cannonball, Stone IPA, some of the Vocation Brewery ones- Life and Death, Pride and Joy are good, Lagunita's is okay (which you can get in Wetherspoon's, along with Flying Dog's Snake Dog which is good and about 7% worth), I had a can of 2 Road's "Lil Heaven" session IPA and there was loads of flavour there for 4.8% the other day... there's probably loads more I can't remember as it's my drink of choice now, though strictly speaking I prefer the American Hop Bomb type. Bengali Tiger and Resin by Sixpoint in Spoons are good, Brewdog's Jack Hammer....I'll stop there!

Happy hunting and let us know what you try that's good!

Sixpoint Bengali maybe? I know 'Spoons usually have that, very nice indeed.
Brewdog Jack Hammer & Born To Die are both great
Beavertown Gamma Ray
Stone IPA

It wasn't Bengali, which I've had before and enjoyed.

I just had a look on their website and found one of them: Uprising Treason West Coast IPA.

In my local Thai restaurant i first tried, Founders All Day IPA, think its been around for a while but its a new one on me. Delicious, mind you it wants to be, it was 4 quid for a 330ml tin!!!!

You can get that in Marks and Spencers and a couple of Spoons near me now (Cardiff). And Stone IPA.

I had a couple of IPAs from the hand pump which were ok when I was in Wetherspoons last week. Can't remember their names either.
The wetherspoons winter ale festival was p1ss poor this year cant remember a good one that I had and that I think was sadly down to all the guest ales comprising of only british hops,as I said p1ss poor

The wetherspoons winter ale festival was p1ss poor this year cant remember a good one that I had and that I think was sadly down to all the guest ales comprising of only british hops,as I said p1ss poor

It was the number of "foreign" beers which were actually brewed by Shepherds Neame and Marstons that I wasn't too happy about. Both the IPAs I had fell into that category. Both used "new world" hops though.

It was the number of "foreign" beers which were actually brewed by Shepherds Neame and Marstons that I wasn't too happy about. Both the IPAs I had fell into that category. Both used "new world" hops though.

Still have the festival pamphlet and it does state ALL the guest ales were brewed with British hops, and boy couldn't you just tell

Fourpure Session IPA gets full marks from me. Lovely hop flavour and aroma! That's my kind of IPA!

Latest posts

Back