Hopping advice for DIY Dog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godfather50

Reaction score
Advice needed on the hop schedule for DIY Dog's recipe for Hopped Up Brown Ale. I drank this Brewdog beer last Christmas and thought it was good so am attempting to make it. The recipe is a bit vague about mash and boil times but I've brewed it now with the suggested start and finish hops. Now it lists:

Columbus 25g Dry Hop
simcoe 37.5g Dry Hop
Citra 12.5g FV

I'm a bit confused. Shouldn't the Citra be added now during fermentation? If so why is it listed at the end? Also when do I dry hop and for how long? I've never done this before. Last how long ould you leave it in secondary? It has got some brown malt in the beer so I think it would benefit from a couple of months, but will the hopping start to decline? Thanks in advance, and have a good Christmas!

Yes, that seems odd. In my book, anything that goes into the FV as opposed to the boiling kettle counts as a dry hop. I wonder if they mean you to add the Citra when the fermentation is past the vigorous stage, either in the primary FV, or in secondary if you use one, so that it is contact with the beer for a longer time. Then dry hop, for a more orthodox short period? Or is it a typo, and all are really dry hops? Probably doesn't make much difference, I guess.
If you want to mature the beer for a couple of months before bottling - and like you I think this could only improve it - then personally I'd dry-hop before it goes into the last storage container, probably leaving the hops in for about 5 days to a week. For the final maturation, I tend to use a screw-top plastic drum rather than a FV. When I do this, I purge the deadspace with CO2 from a large cylinder to get rid of all the air. I'm of the opinion that this helps to preserve the freshness of the hop aroma, but I've no back-to-back tests to prove this!!
You make me jealous being at Arisaig. We were staying on Skye until May this year, when we moved south to be nearer my wife's aged & infirm family (95 & 100!). It's a nice place down here in the Galloway Forest - but not the same!!!!!!!

Thanks Hoppyland, I'll have a look through other DIY Dog recipes to see if it may be a typo. Otherwise I'll do the five days later on in secondary, as you suggest. I'm sure we will see you back this way. Gales and no ferries right now.

Gales and no ferries right now.
Yeh, we had the bridge closed due to wind a few times whilst we were there. All in all, quite a place: often very wet & windy, miles from anywhere, need to plan shopping well in advance, hefty surcharge to get things delivered, terrible broadband speed. I could go on (never mentioned the midgies :twisted:).
That's why we've still got our building plot there & really hope to be back :lol:

there were 2 versions of diy-dog the second version having less typos. the first version was 19,051kb in size with 226 pages the second version was 20,854kb with 248 pages.

but having checked both versions they both put fv at the bottom.

I dry hop for 5 days then either remove the hops or transfer to a Bottling Bucket

The way I read the diydog receipe (see also brewers tip for current punk ipa) is you dry hop for 5 days at 14 degrees so the fv hops would be thrown in at yeast pitching time then filtered out to a secondary for the 5 day post fermentation dry hop, so your dry hops are added last.

DoJ's interpretation would be my thoughts as well if I was just given the recipe. However, DIYDog puts the hops in order of when they are added (start then middle then end then dry hop). This is also true for the recipes where the 'twist' section has boil additions and FV additions, where the interpretation looks like a 'non-hop' equivalent of a dry hop. The recipe for Albino Squid Assassin has the same thing, although it doesn't have dry hops as well. Given the ordering, perhaps it means a second dry hop? That's how I'd understand it, but it certainly isn't clear.

Back