Azacca Hops - Thoughts?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doglaner

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone used Azacca Hops before, and if so, what was the rough schedule and how did they turn out?

I'm planning a 23l AG SMaSH on Friday 10th Feb, as follows:

6kg Maris Otter
30g Azacca 60mins
15g Azacca 10mins
25g Azacca 0 mins
30g Azacca Dry Hop 4 days - 9 days.

I'd appreciate comments on the 15g at 10 mins particularly - I.e is it worth it. I'd also appreciate comments on the timings for dry hopping.

Thanks!

Dog.

I've used Azzacca in an East Coast style IPA before (with other hops) - nice fruity hop.
I think your 10 min addition is fine, but if it were me I'd use something else for bittering and use more Azzacca at 0 min or dry hop, although it wouldn't strictly be a smash anymore.
4-5 days dry hopping just before packaging is all you need
:cheers:

Thanks Dan.

I've got some Chinook which might work for bittering.

High AA, too.

Not too precious about it being a SMaSH, too. However, I think I am probably still going to go as planned, as I want to start showcasing specific Hops. Many previous SMaSHs have turned into multi-hop brews, so I want to have some that are properly Single.

I've got some Galaxy (NZ) on the way, too, which will I will do a similar thing with in a couple of weeks.

Dog.

Galaxy is beautiful and works really well as a single hop. Works amazingly with others too right enough :-D

Thanks Dan.

I've got some Chinook which might work for bittering.

High AA, too.

Not too precious about it being a SMaSH, too. However, I think I am probably still going to go as planned, as I want to start showcasing specific Hops. Many previous SMaSHs have turned into multi-hop brews, so I want to have some that are properly Single.

I've got some Galaxy (NZ) on the way, too, which will I will do a similar thing with in a couple of weeks.

Dog.

I know what you mean - think I've only managed a couple of SMASHs even though I've planned a few more.
I'm sure it will turn out tasty, and you'll be able to get a really good idea of the aroma/flavour that Azacca can bring to the party.
But (as I'm sure I'm becoming immune to hops) for a batch this size I'd order 100g each of leaf & pellet of a single variety - then use the pellets for dry hopping & as much of the leaf as is required in the kettle (pellets block my hop strainer).
Let us know what you think of the Azacca
:cheers:

Hello,

Has anyone used Azacca Hops before, and if so, what was the rough schedule and how did they turn out?

I'm planning a 23l AG SMaSH on Friday 10th Feb, as follows:

6kg Maris Otter
30g Azacca 60mins
15g Azacca 10mins
25g Azacca 0 mins
30g Azacca Dry Hop 4 days - 9 days.

I'd appreciate comments on the 15g at 10 mins particularly - I.e is it worth it. I'd also appreciate comments on the timings for dry hopping.

Thanks!

Dog.

I used Azacca in combination with Mandarina Bavaria for my Rye IPA and it seemed to work very nicely. I'd like to try it out in a single hop brew.

Can't comment on the timing really, my additions were @ 40 mins, 0 mins and dry hopping.

I've just put this hop on my shopping list today to a SMASH. I recently did a Mandarine Bavaria SMASH and used 100 grams in total. I didn't add any start of the boil hops and added hops from 15 mins plus a dry hop. I would have added more if I had them later on plus more for the dry hop. So as mentioned above I would get 200grams and use most of them!

Well, I did the SMaSH in the end.

Came out much stronger than planned as I think I had underestimated my efficiency!

Ended up with 24l of 1064 in the FV after dilution. I would have diluted more to bring down the strength, but there was minimal headroom left in the FV.

We're away for a long weekend, so I've left it in the kitchen sink with the lid on but not tight, as I fear overflows once the yeast gets going!!

Oh well, if I get nearly 50 bottles for just over a tenner at about 6% ABV, then I'm not going to complain. These are all mine, too, as none have been promised to helpers! Boom!

Couple of things from the brewday, one is the efficiency as mentioned before. This is AG#10, and previous brews were bang on the numbers.

Also, the hot break was a proper good'un, and overflowed a bit for the first time.

I wonder if it was the malt. The Homebrew shop had it marked up a "Irish Malt" with no further info, and I didn't ask as I didn't have the time in my life for the ensuing 20 minute discourse on malts and their associated and expansive opinions. I only wanted Pale Malt, not a lecture!! Anyway, I wonder whether that was a factor.

Dog.

Well, I did the SMaSH in the end.

Came out much stronger than planned as I think I had underestimated my efficiency!

Ended up with 24l of 1064 in the FV after dilution. I would have diluted more to bring down the strength, but there was minimal headroom left in the FV.

We're away for a long weekend, so I've left it in the kitchen sink with the lid on but not tight, as I fear overflows once the yeast gets going!!

Oh well, if I get nearly 50 bottles for just over a tenner at about 6% ABV, then I'm not going to complain. These are all mine, too, as none have been promised to helpers! Boom!

Couple of things from the brewday, one is the efficiency as mentioned before. This is AG#10, and previous brews were bang on the numbers.

Also, the hot break was a proper good'un, and overflowed a bit for the first time.

I wonder if it was the malt. The Homebrew shop had it marked up a "Irish Malt" with no further info, and I didn't ask as I didn't have the time in my life for the ensuing 20 minute discourse on malts and their associated and expansive opinions. I only wanted Pale Malt, not a lecture!! Anyway, I wonder whether that was a factor.

Dog.

Have you tried this yet? Was it hoppy enough?
I'm planning mine this weekend.
What yeast did you use? I have wyeast 1275 ready for it.

I'm also interested to know your thoughts about Azacca because it's my next brew, hopefully on Monday.
I've heard it's tasty but possibly needs another hop to go with it to boost the overall flavour, i'm planning an Azacca/Citra combo, can't wait to give it a go.......:thumb:

Hello,

It is very nice, and does have a bit of mango. It is quite bitter, which is good because mine came out at 7%!! I had one this afternoon and another this evening, and it certainly packs a punch.

I was doing a SMaSH, so didn't use any other hops, but it could take another aroma hop, I reckon. I did a Galaxy SMaSH today, although it is weaker at og 1048, and am looking forward to a side by side comparison.

Let me know how yours go.

Dog.

Back