First ever brew sugar help. Wilko Cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. Sorry to hijack this thread, I started brewing this 16 days ago. I transferred from the FV to a brew bin and added 130 grams (was this enough)of sugar to it (dissolved in warm water) and gave it a good stir before bottling 21 litres and capping them. I have left them in my kitchen which is around 17-19 degrees, is this environment warm enough for the first stage of conditioning/carbonation (it is the same room that I carried out the fermentation in) and what would anyone recommend to leave them in this room for before moving to a cooler area which will be my garage floor( is this cold/cool enough). Also when would you expect to see the carbonation starting? Thanks in adavance as this is my first beer/lager that I have made after a few very successful wine kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 130g in to 21 litres to prime is a bit on the high side, its a while since i bottled anything. the worse that will happen is very fizzy cerveza though so not a problem. :drink:

Hi all. Sorry to hijack this thread, I started brewing this 16 days ago. I transferred from the FV to a brew bin and added 130 grams (was this enough)of sugar to it (dissolved in warm water) and gave it a good stir before bottling 21 litres and capping them. I have left them in my kitchen which is around 17-19 degrees, is this environment warm enough for the first stage of conditioning/carbonation (it is the same room that I carried out the fermentation in) and what would anyone recommend to leave them in this room for before moving to a cooler area which will be my garage floor( is this cold/cool enough). Also when would you expect to see the carbonation starting? Thanks in adavance as this is my first beer/lager that I have made after a few very successful wine kits.

The rate of carbonation depends on the condition of the yeast, the amount of yeast and the temperature. At 20C they would normally be carbonated in a week. They should still carbonate at 17C, though they might be a bit slow. I'd leave them there for a fortnight then give one a try before moving them into the cold.

They are glass bottles ( some 600ml and 660ml cobra beer bottles). I guess that 14 days on the kitchen floor near the radiator is ok then after placing them In the garage would you say a further 14 days should be ok!

Also I checked just now and I can already see that it is starting to clear from the top downover[emoji123]

Yeah, it sounds good to me. Once it has cleared in the cold the yeast should compact on to the bottom and form a thin film.

My beer has completed its first fermentation stage and has Sat at a consistent 1.010 SG on the hydrometer over two days and is now Sat in a cool place. I'm not ready to rack this into my bottling bucket ready for bottling, the only problem is that typically my bottle cleaner doesn't get delivered till Saturday and the only time I have to transfer is tonight.

If I transfer to the bottling bucket today would it be ok to bottle on Saturday? Would I add my disolved sugar for carbonation today or is this better done on the day of bottling?

Many thanks.

My beer has completed its first fermentation stage and has Sat at a consistent 1.010 SG on the hydrometer over two days and is now Sat in a cool place. I'm not ready to rack this into my bottling bucket ready for bottling, the only problem is that typically my bottle cleaner doesn't get delivered till Saturday and the only time I have to transfer is tonight.

If I transfer to the bottling bucket today would it be ok to bottle on Saturday? Would I add my disolved sugar for carbonation today or is this better done on the day of bottling?

Many thanks.

The sugar should be added immediately before bottling. If you add it two days beforehand some or all of it will be consumed and you will end up with under-carbonated beer. Compared to the time it takes to bottle, the transfer is quick, so I'd be inclined to transferring it on bottling day. However, if you want you can transfer it to the bottling bucket now and add the dissolved sugar just before bottling. If you do, make sure to give it a stir so that the sugar is evenly distributed in the brew (no splashing!), otherwise you will end up with some bottles overcarbonated and others undercarbonated.

Many thanks.
I would leave it where it is until you are ready to get your bottling done.
However you could transfer it now, and it will carry on clearing, and then when you are ready to bottle carefully add your priming sugar into the bottling bucket in the form of a sugar solution, but don't stir it vigorously, then leave it 30 mins or so to thoroughly mix in with your brew then go ahead and start bottling.
Whatever you do don't rack off now, add the sugar and leave it a day or two before you get round to bottling.

I have made this kit. I left it to ferment out and bottled it after 2 weeks. I left it in my kitchen (approx 20 degrees) for 2 weeks, they were virtually clear at this point so I then have put the bottles into my garage. I put 2 bottles in the fridge at the same time and after 48 hours they have started to go a little cloudy. Is this normal?

Alright everyone, quick update

The bottles have been in a warm place for just over a week and I couldn't help but to try one of the smaller ones. I cracked open the top and chuffed to hear the fizz, I poured it into a glass and first impressions is its drinkable. I know it has another week in a warm place followed another week or two in a cold place but I was fairly surprised at how drinkable it was.

The beer was very fizzy, maintained its head but was a little cloudy. Am I right in saying the further conditioning will help towards solving this?

Latest posts

Back