Golden Syrup/Belgian Candi Syrup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a good link....

https://byo.com/bock/item/1441-sweetness-brewing-sugars-how-to-use-them

there is an error on the article because on my tin of Tate & Lyle's golden syrup it says partially inverted and the article says it's fully inverted.

as for 'candi sugar' I suppose it could either be inverted or not depending on how its made. inverted sugar is the breaking down of a di-sacharides into two mono-sacharides and yeast prefer this.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/03/14/belgian-candi-syrup-homemade-vs-commercial-exbeeriment-results/

And there was me thinking crack was made from cocaine. Puts a different perspective on it when people say they have a sugar addiction.

Anyways...I also fancy a go at a Brewferm kit. When I'm using the calculators is Golden Syrup the same as Candy Sugar, as in gram for gram how much alcohol it produces?

Anyways...I also fancy a go at a Brewferm kit. When I'm using the calculators is Golden Syrup the same as Candy Sugar, as in gram for gram how much alcohol it produces?

100g sugar in 1L water ~ 5% ABV at full conversion.

Good rule of thumb and easy to remember.

So, adding 500g to a 25L brew adds ~ 1% on the ABV.

100g sugar in 1L water ~ 5% ABV at full conversion.

Good rule of thumb and easy to remember.

So, adding 500g to a 25L brew adds ~ 1% on the ABV.

Thanks. Is it the same for Golden Syrup?

Thanks. Is it the same for Golden Syrup?

Using brewmate to work it out. As similarly to what Slid says, 500g of table sugar in a 23L brew adds 1.06%ABV (based on sugar having potential extract of 1.046). Golden Syrup will add 0.49%ABV per 23L brew (based on GS having potential extract of 1.038)

Using brewmate to work it out. As similarly to what Slid says, 500g of table sugar in a 23L brew adds 1.06%ABV (based on sugar having potential extract of 1.046). Golden Syrup will add 0.49%ABV per 23L brew (based on GS having potential extract of 1.038)

Thanks. I did look on the calculator at the top of the page, but must have missed it. :doh:

Thanks. I did look on the calculator at the top of the page, but must have missed it. :doh:

It probably doesnt have it in theere. I added GS manually to brewmate. Dunno about our brewing software as I like and use brewmate but if theere's a grain or adjunct that isnt in there, you need to search the interwebs for the potential extract for that grain/adjunct to enter into the brewing software. You also need to look for the colour figure (SRM/EBC/and the other one which I forget now) to enter so your software calculates the correct colour. Beersmith (you dont need the software the list is on the web) has a big list of potential extract for things

Latest posts

Back