Does dry hopping add flavour?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
straight yes or no please as there is a debate currently going on on a facebook brewing forum,yes we know they add bittering and aroma but in your opinions without blinding us with science just personel experience
YES or NO:thumb:Yes from me

I vote yes.

I feel like the line between aroma and flavour is fuzzy and different people will sense the proportions of these things in different ways. So maybe a scientist would say answer that dry hopping only releases aroma oils and these can't be detected by taste buds or whatever, but even if that were true (and I have no idea) you can't drink a glass of beer without sticking your nose near it, so aroma and flavour are always going to be experienced together.

Edit - create a separate paragraph to give the impression of a straight answer above....

Definite yes from me.

Taste is only sweet, sour, bitter or salty. All other flavour is made up from these tastes and smell being interpreted by the brain as flavour. So anyone who says they add aroma and not flavour doesnt understand how it works.

Yes for me.

Noticeable jump in perceived flavour got me on beers I've dry hopped, moreso than a perceived aroma.

Is there any advantage to using a hop tea as well as dry hopping?

When I looked for homebrew on Facebook I get loads of vaping forums, which is fine, but I already know how to make e liquid.

Just dry hops? No. If you use just a bittering addition and dry hops you get an aromatic bitter beer with no hop flavor. But the aroma of the dry hops can change the perceived flavor of your flavor hops.

Yes.

- but I disagree with your contention that dry hopping adds bitterness. Any bitterness from dry hopping is so insignificant as to be undetectable.

straight yes or no please as there is a debate currently going on on a facebook brewing forum,yes we know they add bittering and aroma but in your opinions without blinding us with science just personel experience
YES or NO:thumb:Yes from me
It's amazing how many people can't following simple instructions, I'm sure you asked for a straight yes or no.
Yes
Oops I've done it myself:doh:!

Hold your nose and eat something. You won't get anything other than salty ,sweet or bitter. Flavour relies heavily on how things smell.

Dry hops alter flavour. They don't necessarily contribute to isoalpha acids because there is no Isomerisation. They do however contribute to percieved bitterness.

Stir some hops into a glass of cool water and steep them for a bit, then tell me that the water is flavourless. :whistle:

Great article, it's got me thinking that I need to be looking past just the AA% content of the hop and depending the hop oil type and content level decide on whether to steep below 64c and dry hop only or to short boil or steep at 100c. Even a mixture of both to build a hop profile but I think the only way for me to do this would be to use LME (kit brewer) and start with bitterness working through short boi/steep and onto dry hopping. It's given me a lot to think about when next buying hops and just how I'll use them, nice one:thumb:

Yes.

- but I disagree with your contention that dry hopping adds bitterness. Any bitterness from dry hopping is so insignificant as to be undetectable.

This comment is leading to what the question SHOULD be. The question should be do you detect dry hopping adding flavour. I suspect the reason for this discussion is actually down to how sensitive peoples sense of smell (and by association taste) is. I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell to the point I can find some smells overpowering that other people cant even smell. If you have a good sense of smell and taste you will probably detect the flavour from dry hopping and if you have a poor sense of smell and taste I suspect you cant.

So the correct answer is yes it does impart flavour but can you taste it?

I agree with Blackisland but would say yes as changing the perception of a flavour in my opinion changes the flavour.

It boosts the taste of the beer whether that is more through the snout than the gob I am unsure, I was led to believe it was mnore aromatic so therefore perceived flavour.

Some people chuck all their hops in after flame out and dry hop.. I have an american IPA I have now aged for a few months and whilst some of the fresher dry hop and flameout may have mellowed the staggered later hop additions have actually hung around and even aged its actually really good.. (maybe as good as fully fresh).. but thats another subject

Back