Can i stabilise a lager kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R-J-M

Reaction score
Some advise please :) I've had a Better Brew Czech Pilsner kit brewing for 2 weeks now and it started at 1.048. If I leave it to ferment out to 1.008 like the instructions say, it's going to be more than 5%. The gravity is now 1.016, which I calculate to be 4.2%. How can i stabilise the brew now and keep it at 4.2% without causing bottle explosions? Thanks!

Not if you're planning on bottle conditioning you can't. I'm curious why you want to?

I would leave it unless you like sweetish lager/pilsner. Isn't the slightly dry taste part of the beer style? If you kill the yeast to stop it, or put it in the fridge to stun it, you may still get exploding bottles, especially since you need to introduce more yeast or raise the temperature to carb it up, and the primary may just restart.
If you are worried about the alcohol content why not just drink less at a sitting?

I will leave it to ferment out then lol. I just wanted a nice 4% summer lager, not something that's going to kill my mates after 4 pints (again)

If you'v got some hops then boil a few litres of water to make a hop tea, let it cool and add it to the fermentor, effectively this will water it down while keeping the hop profile, and boiling the water will drive of oxygen which at this stage of the brew you dont want.

I gave the bucket a quick swirl round a few days ago and have had it on a heat pad for a while, the gravity has been 1.014 for 4 days now! Safe to bottle?

Latest posts

Back