Brewdog - DIYDog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand the negativity of this thread I'm afraid.

Mikkeller puts a few recipes in a book for £20 and no one bats an eyelid. Brewdog give hundreds away for free and get pelters!
Have you read all the Brewdog DIYDog release? I've read through all of it and while some look viable the ones that are totally unbelievable put others into doubt. The negativity is that people with no experience might pay good money buying ingredients in total faith of a well known brewers recipes and then think it was themselves that made a mistake when the brew tastes undrinkable.
I haven't heard of the book that you mentioned so can't comment on that other that if it's not good and costs £20 that's probably why I haven't heard of it.

I don't understand the negativity of this thread I'm afraid.

Mikkeller puts a few recipes in a book for �£20 and no one bats an eyelid. Brewdog give hundreds away for free and get pelters!

Mikkeller got the recipes right. What's the point of publishing recipes and getting a lot of them them wrong? That's all that's being criticised, the execution, not the generosity, which is to be applauded. But giving away something that's a mess ain't too clever.

As much as I like this gesture, and will probably try some of the recipes (at some point), a lot of these recipes are not for the faint of heart/wallet. In one recipe I counted 549.50 grams of hops for 20 litres!! At the prices I'm paying for hops that sort of homebrew needs to be thought of as luxury goods!

Also, I think the person responsible for releasing the erroneous recipes will be now in the doghouse! Geddit?

As much as I like this gesture, and will probably try some of the recipes (at some point), a lot of these recipes are not for the faint of heart/wallet. In one recipe I counted 549.50 grams of hops for 20 litres!! At the prices I'm paying for hops that sort of homebrew needs to be thought of as luxury goods!

Also, I think the person responsible for releasing the erroneous recipes will be now in the doghouse! Geddit?

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw those recipes was "it explains their prices". :D

I did notice they're using an enter valid email now to download. However the old [email protected] gets all my spam. ;-)

I now have both versions that won't open on my phone!

I bet we all get invitations to become a shareholder, or an 'equity punk investor'! I escaped becoming a punk in the 70's and I'll probably give it a miss this time around too!

Big thumbs up for this 'gesture' - whatever the motivation. This really gives you an insight into the sort of things we could all be taking a shot at. Love or loathe their beers, you have to give them full marks for being adventurous.

After now realising that my brew setup can manage small batch BIAB (12l) I'll scale some of these down now they seemly been sorted out. I do like the look of Santa Paws and Hoppy Christmas, so my Christmas stock might be sorted!

I don't think I'll print all 236 pages off again though, 1/2 way through the original copy, the printer had a paper jam and I had to virtually dismantle the printer to get it out of the rollers. Not made easy when your trying to get all it printed before the others arrive in the office.

Im still not convinced these are all correct. No. 9, Hype claims to have 65 IBU but only 9g of hops in the 20L? Where as no. 8 has IBU of 40 yet nearly 200g of hops, including a lot of bittering.

After now realising that my brew setup can manage small batch BIAB (12l) I'll scale some of these down now they seemly been sorted out. I do like the look of Santa Paws and Hoppy Christmas, so my Christmas stock might be sorted!

I don't think I'll print all 236 pages off again though, 1/2 way through the original copy, the printer had a paper jam and I had to virtually dismantle the printer to get it out of the rollers. Not made easy when your trying to get all it printed before the others arrive in the office.

Obviously a punk paper jam. Smashing the system and all that :lol:

Latest posts

Back