Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Red Wine Concentrate Substitute

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 28-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #71
LED_ZEP

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhibbett View Post
It seems that grape powder works out no cheaper than concentrate, which in itself is grape juice with the subtleties knocked out by the heat process involved. Cultivating grapes is relatively expensive, hard work, a long term investment and can be frustrating, but at least you get the genuine article. It is no surprise that the best wines are expensive!
I agree with' sentiment but afta a hard shift down pit I ain't got the energy to tend, vines. And if i gave up the allotment to them where wud ferrets, pigeons and whippets live?

No it has t' be kits and odd blackberry for me if I'm aft to make wine!
Gunge Likes This 
Old 29-09-2017, 05:43 AM   #72
Gunge

Liked 911 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED_ZEP View Post
I agree with' sentiment but afta a hard shift down pit I ain't got the energy to tend, vines. And if i gave up the allotment to them where wud ferrets, pigeons and whippets live?

No it has t' be kits and odd blackberry for me if I'm aft to make wine!
Lol my missus ain't no connoisseur - she'll sup anything I present her with so long as it's not poisonous, but I do make the effort whilst keeping costs ALARP!

Old 29-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #73
needmorstuf

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
Lol my missus ain't no connoisseur - she'll sup anything I present her with so long as it's not poisonous, but I do make the effort whilst keeping costs ALARP!
m8 - I cant be ar4ed with the powder anymore.. I've got some you can have for nowt. ping me your address and I'll get it in the post for ya.
Gunge Likes This 
Old 29-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #74
Gunge

Liked 911 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorstuf View Post
m8 - I cant be ar4ed with the powder anymore.. I've got some you can have for nowt. ping me your address and I'll get it in the post for ya.
Done! Thanks!!

Old 03-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #75
OldPeculier

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

The Beaverdale Cab Sauv that I made with added powder has turned out very nice indeed. There is a much more fruity taste and perhaps a little more body too. It will be interesting to see what it is like in another six months.

My Beaverdale Merlot with added powder has stuck at .998 so I have mixed up a nutrient rich yeast starter which will hopefully get it going enough to knock off the last few digits.

Last night I started a cherry and grape wow. Having made a few fruit ciders, I have found that adding the fruit flavour in the last stages of the fermentation, makes for a fruitier brew so what I am planning to do is add 200g red grape powder in a week or so and see what happens.

Drinking; Simply Pale Ale, various Beaverdale reds.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #76
xozzx

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Last night I made a Ribena wine with some added grape powder. Its looking and smelling pretty good, will see how it goes, recipe below:

3L Ribena juice
1Kg white sugar
1L water
1 cup strong black tea
Yeast + nutrient.
100g red grape powder.

Boiled the sugar and grape powder in the water and bunged all in a 5L demijohn. Think I added a bit much sugar as OG was 1108.

Tags
concentrate, country, grape, red, wow