Broadband Speeds

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I switched from Sky to Virgin today - looks like I’m just seeing a small jump in my internet speeds!

C591675E-26BB-45A4-89A9-6CF075602DE5.jpg

I switched from Sky to Virgin today - looks like I’m just seeing a small jump in my internet speeds!

Wow! we get KC lightstream in the village next summer promising similar download/upload speeds. Can't wait it's incredibly poor here in remote villages.

We are limited to Kingston Communications in our area, no BT here.

I recently moved from ADSL to Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) and can now get up to 76 Mbps, G.fast pods like the one below have started to spring up in town which will allow up to 330Mbps using your existing copper line.

hunslet_62_gfast_pcp.jpg

What upload speed were you expecting?

Haven’t a Scooby. For what I use my internet for (mainly streaming) it’s only the other 2 (D/L and ping) I need to worry about isn’t it?

I think he means Fibre to the property (FTTP) and not Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC)

The video below doesn't mention G.Fast which will also give you the 330 Mbps he discusses.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rVTEjTEFlI[/ame]

Haven’t a Scooby. For what I use my internet for (mainly streaming) it’s only the other 2 (D/L and ping) I need to worry about isn’t it?

I get a capped 38 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up so was assuming your upload speed would be far higher than the test shows it may be worth checking out what the maximum figures they give for the service are.

330Mbps using the existing copper line, you’d have to have the cabinet fixed to the house to get that!

I think the maximum line length is 450 metres so if like me it's 100 metres away I should be able to get a very high speed once we get one.

Back