Carbonation issues.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clandestine

Reaction score
Having bottled a pilsner kit using the batch priming method i then put them in the garage to carb up.

it has been roughly two weeks but little carbonation and i can taste the priming sugar. (very little yeast on the bottom of the 2L PET bottle also. i ran out of glass)

would it be okay to bring these back inside to carb up for a week as it was clearly far too cold in the garage?

will this negatively affect the brew?

thanks.

Carbonation of homebrewed beer or cider relies on the residual yeast left in there after the primary has finished to work on the priming sugar. However this won't happen if you prime and then don't keep it in the warm for a week or two. At least 18*C is best.
If you didn't do this then you need to bring your bottles back into the warm, give them a gentle shake to resuspend the yeast and then leave them alone for up to two weeks to carb up. After the two weeks is up you can then try one, and hopefully find its carbed as it should be, and then you can move back out to your garage.

Thanks chaps. was just concerned that the cold may have complicated things.
the yeast should be ok i guess, just chilly.

they're inside now

Just out of curiosity, you say it's a Pilsner and I assume therefore a lager yeast was used which of course generally ferment quite happily at low temperatures. Just wondering how cold your garage actually was?

Just out of curiosity, you say it's a Pilsner and I assume therefore a lager yeast was used which of course generally ferment quite happily at low temperatures. Just wondering how cold your garage actually was?

“Lager” kits usually aren’t true lager kits and actually have ale yeast in them.

Back