The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sampled the first bottle of my American Amber with CML US Pale yeast. Tasting great and nicely carbed after 13 days however the final 3rd of the bottle is a cloudy, yeasty mess at the moment! Hopefully that's just a a matter of time compacting it down.

This is the problem I had with the US pale - after 2 weeks in the bottle it was cloudy still. After 3 weeks, it's a lot better but I'm still having to leave a lot in the bottom of the bottle when pouring. The beer has now cleared very well though. Hopefully in another couple of weeks it will be a little more solid.

I read on their website that the US pale has similar characteristics to US-05 and some people find that that yeast flocculates a bit more than other yeasts too.

Seems strange to me people are complaining about yeast in the bottle with the pale ale. Personally i find it the opposite. I wonder if people are not bottling too soon. I find this can happen with stouts as they seem to keep on fermenting in the bottle.

Seems strange to me people are complaining about yeast in the bottle with the pale ale. Personally i find it the opposite. I wonder if people are not bottling too soon. I find this can happen with stouts as they seem to keep on fermenting in the bottle.

You'd struggle to accuse me of bottling too soon bud. :lol: My Saison was in the FV for a good 4 weeks before I bottled.

In my case though I know it's because I don't cold crash. Something I will rectify eventually once I get a brew fridge setup. Still trying to clear out the empty vivs filling my brewing space though so I can actually fit one in. I'm reaching the point of giving up and sending them to the tip to be honest.

But yeah, I always have yeast in the bottom of the bottle, and have found the CML yeasts are very prone to disturbing when you pour even months later and after chilling for a week. Always end up leaving about 2cms in the bottle to avoid pouring it into the glass. I've even considered using something like gelatin and/or keisosol (I use this combination when making mead, to give me a crystal clear end product) or something, but I kinda like that my beer is free of anything like this.

It's one of the things tempting me away from CML yeasts to be honest (that and their Saison yeast seems such and under-performer...), as the kits I made using the kit supplied yeast the yeast compacts down nicely in the bottle and given 4 weeks or so in the bottle it stays put.

What I don't have trouble with is cloudy beer. As I mentioned though, so far every beer I have made has been given about a month in the FV before bottling, to give the yeast time to clean up after itself. My wheat beer will be the exception, I want that cloudy. :lol:

I'm not complaining about yeast in the bottle - I think after 6 years of brewing, I realise that there will always be yeast in the bottle if I want it to carbonate.

I am merely observing that the US pale (in the 1 time that I have used it) has taken a while to clear and is not compacting as well as other yeasts I have used. For example, I brewed a Bulldog 4 Finger Jack using MJ44 yeast and I can virtually pour the whole bottle before the dreaded white tendrils of doom appear in the neck of the bottle. Similarly with the cml Kolsch yeast which is one of the clearest beers I have ever brewed. I also am about to bottle a Brewferm Christmas beer which I brewed with half a packet of cml Belgian yeast. This is crystal clear in the fv at the moment.

I'm not complaining about yeast in the bottle - I think after 6 years of brewing, I realise that there will always be yeast in the bottle if I want it to carbonate.

I am merely observing that the US pale (in the 1 time that I have used it) has taken a while to clear and is not compacting as well as other yeasts I have used. For example, I brewed a Bulldog 4 Finger Jack using MJ44 yeast and I can virtually pour the whole bottle before the dreaded white tendrils of doom appear in the neck of the bottle. Similarly with the cml Kolsch yeast which is one of the clearest beers I have ever brewed. I also am about to bottle a Brewferm Christmas beer which I brewed with half a packet of cml Belgian yeast. This is crystal clear in the fv at the moment.

Same thing Pavros, the sediment doesn't glue to the bottle very well at all with many of their yeasts.

Do you cold crash at all? Could be that like me there's more yeast there to begin with when we prime, making for a larger quantity of sediment perhaps?

You'd struggle to accuse me of bottling too soon bud. :lol: My Saison was in the FV for a good 4 weeks before I bottled.

In my case though I know it's because I don't cold crash. Something I will rectify eventually once I get a brew fridge setup. Still trying to clear out the empty vivs filling my brewing space though so I can actually fit one in. I'm reaching the point of giving up and sending them to the tip to be honest.

But yeah, I always have yeast in the bottom of the bottle, and have found the CML yeasts are very prone to disturbing when you pour even months later and after chilling for a week. Always end up leaving about 2cms in the bottle to avoid pouring it into the glass. I've even considered using something like gelatin and/or keisosol (I use this combination when making mead, to give me a crystal clear end product) or something, but I kinda like that my beer is free of anything like this.

It's one of the things tempting me away from CML yeasts to be honest (that and their Saison yeast seems such and under-performer...), as the kits I made using the kit supplied yeast the yeast compacts down nicely in the bottle and given 4 weeks or so in the bottle it stays put.

What I don't have trouble with is cloudy beer. As I mentioned though, so far every beer I have made has been given about a month in the FV before bottling, to give the yeast time to clean up after itself. My wheat beer will be the exception, I want that cloudy. :lol:

I have no experience of saison yeast apart from MJ's and that has never cleared either. It would **** me off if i had to throw beer away with every bottle not good. To be honest i don't even condition most of my beer, its out of the airing cupboard into the fridge. Even if i lie the bottles down in the freezer it still compacts in one corner. Goes to show how many variables there are when making beer. Brewed at my mates last week and could not get the wort to run clear even after 90 minutes. Here i have no problem. I suspect his beers will never clear but i could be wrong. Are you having troubles with all their yeasts? I only use the pale and kolsch.

They clear fine, even the saison. The problem is more the adhesion, or more to the point lack there of, of the sediment to the bottom of the bottle. It settles out just fine, but no matter how long I leave them, how long I chill for, I can't get the last 2cms of beer out of the bottle without the sediment coming with it.

I've found this with their real ale yeast, US Pale Ale yeast and their Saison De Lille yeast. Too soon to say about the Kirstallweizen yeast as it's still in the FV. Probably a bit early to judge the saison yeast just yet too as it's not been in the bottle that long.

I had a nightmare with their cider yeast! Every time you opened a bottle the CO2 bubbles would pull the yeast back into suspension it was so loose. It spoiled in the end and went down the toilet. Was a turbo cider though, so probably doomed to go nasty sooner or later. :twisted:

Could just be that 2 months isn't long enough for the sediment to stick, but shish... :lol:

They clear fine, even the saison. The problem is more the adhesion, or more to the point lack there of, of the sediment to the bottom of the bottle. It settles out just fine, but no matter how long I leave them, how long I chill for, I can't get the last 2cms of beer out of the bottle without the sediment coming with it.

I've found this with their real ale yeast, US Pale Ale yeast and their Saison De Lille yeast. Too soon to say about the Kirstallweizen yeast as it's still in the FV. Probably a bit early to judge the saison yeast just yet too as it's not been in the bottle that long.

I had a nightmare with their cider yeast! Every time you opened a bottle the CO2 bubbles would pull the yeast back into suspension it was so loose. It spoiled in the end and went down the toilet. Was a turbo cider though, so probably doomed to go nasty sooner or later. :twisted:

Could just be that 2 months isn't long enough for the sediment to stick, but shish... :lol:
Mmmm
must say that i thought the cider yeast was very good indeed,very pleased with results and that was on a turbo cider.Not opened any of my brews as yet done with the real ale yeast or the Belgian so could't comment but very happy with the US Pale as well.

Same thing Pavros, the sediment doesn't glue to the bottle very well at all with many of their yeasts.

Do you cold crash at all? Could be that like me there's more yeast there to begin with when we prime, making for a larger quantity of sediment perhaps?

Ooops, just re-read my post and what I meant was that the cml Kolsch yeast acts like the MJ44 and has compacted pretty well unlike the US pale.

I do 'cold crash' if the beer has problems clearing in the fv. I let the fv stand overnight on my concrete garage floor and this usually does the trick. I like my beers to be reasonably clear when transferring from the fv to the priming bucket. They are then cloudy going into the bottle as they have mixed with the priming sugar and stirred up any remaining yeast but the bottles usually clear after 3/4 days. This one has only just cleared in the bottle after 3 weeks and the sediment is still quite loose.

I have 3 more cml US pale yeasts to use and it may be that the current one will be a bit more solid in a month's time. Don't get me wrong - I'm not unhappy with the US pale, it just seems to have taken longer than usual to clear in the bottle and the sediment is fairly loose at the moment (similar to US-05).

Mmmm
must say that i thought the cider yeast was very good indeed,very pleased with results and that was on a turbo cider.Not opened any of my brews as yet done with the real ale yeast or the Belgian so could't comment but very happy with the US Pale as well.

It was delicious for the first 2 months. Bottles opened after that were foul though, so probably an infection.

Could be the carbonation levels were the problem with the yeast though. Literally I'd undo the cap and the bubbles would lift the yeast back into suspension, it was like a fine loose powder.

The Youngs raspberry and mango kit I did, with the supplied yeast, doesn't suffer this problem at all. Took a while to taste of anything though, but that's perry for you... :lol:

The mead yeast did a nice job, but then I used Kwik clear on that, and filtered with a Boots wine filter (yup, I actually had one pretty much unused, the pads still sealed up, just sat around... lmao).

I just ordered a pack of the kolsch yeast, anyone have any experiences with it?

Geterbrewed screwed me a little, ordered ingredients for my next few brews including a kolsch which I'm brewing for a competition, they emailed me the next day saying they're out of the Wyeast kolsch, what substitute would I like. They had nothing suitable and ended up choosing something spur of the moment that isn't at all suitable for a kolsch, hence the CML yeast. That's the third time that has happened with yeast orders from GEB, why does the website say it's in stock if it isn't :evil:

Geterbrewed screwed me a little, ordered ingredients for my next few brews including a kolsch which I'm brewing for a competition, they emailed me the next day saying they're out of the Wyeast kolsch, what substitute would I like. They had nothing suitable and ended up choosing something spur of the moment that isn't at all suitable for a kolsch, hence the CML yeast. That's the third time that has happened with yeast orders from GEB, why does the website say it's in stock if it isn't :evil:
Did two small brews with it,very good imho.Both went down well.Never had a Kolsch so couldn't say how they would compare.Intend doing more later in new year:)

@chub1 Good to know, thanks. What temp did you ferment at, how clean was it, any sulphur or esters?

Happened to me the other day. I have used wlp0029 twice and the cml kolsch yeast and i prefer the cml. The beers i made with wlp0029 are not crsytal even though i added finings and crashed as normal. They also seemed to lag a bit even though i used a large starter. The taste is very similar although i have not done any side by side comparisons. I am not really a fan of dried yeast as i found my beers improved massively when i switched to liquid but i really like this one.

@BeerCat that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Like yourself I'm generally not too keen on dry yeast so happy to hear this is at least as good as WLP029 :thumb:

@chub1 Good to know, thanks. What temp did you ferment at, how clean was it, any sulphur or esters?
If i recall they were fermented around 17/18c. Nice and clean and a nice fresh taste.
I brewed both with a mix of Irish pale and Irish lager malt's, Light Munich some Carahell and a bit of Caramalt,just different hops in each brew.:thumb:

I used the kolsch yeast brewing a cerveza kit at ale temps (and using up all my kits before switching to ag). It is probably the clearest kit I have brewed. The yeast seems to be clean tasting as well but how close to a kolsch it is, I wouldn't know. Mine had a faint medicinal taste and smell at the bottling stage but this has conditioned out quickly and is not there now (I'm on the last bottle after 6 months)

Looking at the post yesterday I think I made a mistake when I used the Kolsch yeast. I fermented at 14c for 10 days and bottled. I should have raised the temperature to 20c for maybe 4 days to clean up. The beer had a bit of a sweet back taste, which conditioned out after some weeks in the fridge, then it went bad after 4 to 6 weeks.

Latest posts

Back