Brewing Better Beer by Gordon Strong

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battwave

Regular.
Reaction score
Hadn't seen this book before my Daughter bought it for me at Xmas. She really couldn't have done better if she took me to the book shop and let me choose.

It's not a "how to brew", or even a "this is how it works" but a "how to evolve your technique based on understanding your system and understanding the results". It does contain a few recipes, but they're more to illustrate points than to provide you with recipes to try.

After a bit of a rambling intro, it becomes a very thought-provoking read for the accomplished AG brewer (extract brewing is dismissed as a missed opportunity). Moreover, it makes you feel good about the set-up you've got, rather than craving the next shiny bit of stainless ie it's comfort reading for skinflints like me :oops:

ISBN is 978-0-937381-98-4 if anyone is interested.

I could not agree more. This book is still fairly new, and I got it for my wife for Xmas not really knowing what to expect. I live the fact that I can evolve my process and learn so much from such a qualified brewer, teacher, and author.

It's not a book I recommend for a beginner, but if you have been brewing all grain for a couple years, and feel you may have hit your plateau then I strongly recommend this book.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497497,-120.853054

I have mixed feelings after reading this book. While full of valuable advices, there's nothing new for fairly experienced AG homebrewer, speaking of technical side of brewing. It's all about correct state of mind. And "joining all the dots".

But it's well written, so my money is not lost entirely. ;)

zgoda said:
I have mixed feelings after reading this book. While full of valuable advices, there's nothing new for fairly experienced AG homebrewer, speaking of technical side of brewing. It's all about correct state of mind. And "joining all the dots".

But it's well written, so my money is not lost entirely. ;)
fully agree but its a good book though, worth having in any brewing library if only for th bjcp stuff

I have to agree with that too, I thought it was okay and I did get some handy tips so it wasn’t a wasted read. But it comes across as someone trying to find a niche in an oversaturated book market. It kinda falls somewhere between How to Brew and Radical Brewing, both of which are better.

zgoda said:
I have mixed feelings after reading this book. While full of valuable advices, there's nothing new for fairly experienced AG homebrewer,

For which you will want 'Principles of Brewing Science' by Fix then onto 'Brewing' by Lewis and Young and then onto 'Handbook of Brewing' by Priest, by this point you are reading commercial brewing textbooks.

Latest posts

Back