This is unbelievable

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popspicker

Reaction score
1 can of Cooper's Original Series Stout
1KG Dark DME
250g Crystal Malt
250g Roasted Barley
150g Chocolate malt
1oz US Goldings hops (15min boil) for flavour
Safale US05 Yeast.

23L length of brew

Did this after finding the recipe on youtube and it tastes fantastic, only done one successful bitter before but this absolutely blows it out of the water.
If there are any new guys out there who would like to produce a brew that will amaze their friends, I can strongly recommend this. Never thought I could produce something like this at home.
Thanks to everyone who helped along the way.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers for that :clap:

Must work out as an expensive pint though? :wha: :wha:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

........and how long has Rumpole Of The Bailey been a beer connossieur :wha: :wha: :wha:

:rofl: :rofl:

1 can of Cooper's Original Series Stout
1KG Dark DME
250g Crystal Malt
250g Roasted Barley
150g Chocolate malt
1oz US Goldings hops (15min boil) for flavour
Safale US05 Yeast.

23L length of brew

Did this after finding the recipe on youtube and it tastes fantastic, only done one successful bitter before but this absolutely blows it out of the water.
If there are any new guys out there who would like to produce a brew that will amaze their friends, I can strongly recommend this. Never thought I could produce something like this at home.
Thanks to everyone who helped along the way.

Hiya All

Had a little dip into brewing had a break now back to try again and saw this as wanting to do a stout. The YouTube link didn't work. Just after some tips on what you actually do haha. Do you use some of the water to boil the hops and then add it back to the brewing bucket? Do the barley and malts just go straight in to the bucket? Sorry if these questions seem a bit stupid to you experienced guys. Only done 2 kits so far.

Hi!
This is a partial extract recipe - the grains are crushed, mashed and sparged exactly the same as in all-grain brewing, and the wort is added to the kit in place of some of the fermentables.

Thanks for that, really appreciate both replies and the link. Would the Kent Goldings hops substitute ok? Can't seem to find the US ones for sale in the UK.

Hiya All

Had a little dip into brewing had a break now back to try again and saw this as wanting to do a stout. The YouTube link didn't work. Just after some tips on what you actually do haha. Do you use some of the water to boil the hops and then add it back to the brewing bucket? Do the barley and malts just go straight in to the bucket? Sorry if these questions seem a bit stupid to you experienced guys. Only done 2 kits so far.
This recipe uses a grain steep and a hop boil for flavour. So you steep the grains in water at about 65-70*C for about 30 minutes to extract sugars and flavour, filter the liquor from the spent grains, and then sparge the spent grain to withy water at about 80*C to wash. Then you must boil the collected liquor to kill off any nasties in this case perhaps with 250-500g LME and the hops, which will also extract hop flavour. I would use about 1.5 litres water for the steep and a further 1.5 litres for the sparge, but you may have to adjust these volumes. Then make up the kit as you would normally.
There is a lot going on in this recipe so be warned, and if my experience of Coopers stouts is anything to go by you may need a blow off tube if you brew to 23 litres. And I can see no reason to change the kit yeast, the one provided is perfectly adequate imo.
Personally I would go for something simpler by way of additions if it is your first kit stout. Coopers stouts are good kits imo and there are lots of reviews in the review section with simpler recipes. Also I think the new Irish stout is better than the Original.
Beer Kit Review A - Z
Finally this is what I do, which works for me: kit can, 500g golden syrup, 500g dark DME, 120 g dark muscavado sugar, 4 shots of strong coffee made from beans (not instant) made up to 19 litres which keeps it in the FV at the start of the primary.

Appreciate the advice, yes maybe it's a little too much for a beginner. I'll have a go with something more simple for starters and see how it goes from there. Thanks again.

There is a lot going on in this recipe so be warned, and if my experience of Coopers stouts is anything to go by you may need a blow off tube if you brew to 23 litres.

Good point, I hadn't noticed that the base kit was the Stout. Seems a bit over-the-top to me, as you say the Stout is good on it's own and needs very little pimping. Those additions would more suit another kit like the English bitter.

And yes, British Goldings are fine. :thumb:

Appreciate the advice, yes maybe it's a little too much for a beginner. I'll have a go with something more simple for starters and see how it goes from there. Thanks again.
OK. One final word of caution. If you do select another recipe and it has black treacle in there go carefully unless you like the taste. From the reviews it seems some overdo it to their regret, and others overdo it and then have to wait for months before it mellows. Thats why I use a modest quantity of dark muscavado sugar which is just noticeable in the finished product and doesn't overwhelm.

Back