Apple and Raspberry cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jms

Reaction score
Put this on yesterday

primary Ingredients:
3kg frozen raspberries
11L Apple juice concentrate
Pectin enzyme
malic acid
yeast nutrient
campden powder
Cultivated Old Rosie yeast from the guide by graysalchemy

1) Started by emptying 3kg of frozen raspberries into a fermentation barrel and then poured boiling water over to defrost them. Once defrosted more boiled water was added until the raspberries were fully covered. Then the raspberries were mashed, taking care to avoid breaking seeds open which would give a bitter taste.

2) added 2tsp campden powder and 3tsp Pectic enzyme and then it was left to sit for 48 hrs. (a reaction seems to occur between the campden powder and the raspberry's red colour; in my previous raspberry wine it changed to a pale pink immediately after being added but then over a week the deep red colour gradually returns. strange)

3)the raspberry fibre and seeds were strained off with a jelly strainer and discarded.

4)11L of Apple concentrate was then added to the raspberry juice in the FV.

5)Added another tsp of Pectic enzyme, 2tsp of Malic acid, and 6tsp of Yeast nutrient, then mixed the juice vigorously.

6)To the juice I pitched yeast cultivated from a bottle of Weston's Old Rosie. This also includes malolactic bacteria.

Starting Specific gravity: 1.042

I have pictures but the spam filter won't let me link them.

Its only been roughly 12 hrs so still not much activity, but a huge amount of raspberry silt is separating out already.

I plan on allowing this to ferment, then doing a secondary fermentation by adding another 1kg worth of raspberry juice and 3L of apple juice. Then bulk ageing for at least 6 months to allow for malolactic fermentation.

I am reasonable new to brewing, I have done many kits but looking to go onto brewing from fruit. Apple concentrate is that different from normal apple juice?

jms said:
11L Apple juice concentrate

Seriously? That's equivalent to at least 66l of apple juice and must have cost you at least 40 quid! The sugar level will be huge...

Did you mean "apple juice from concentrate" ?

josh.childs said:
I am reasonable new to brewing, I have done many kits but looking to go onto brewing from fruit. Apple concentrate is that different from normal apple juice?

You can buy apple juice made from concentrate or not made from concentrate. Some people prefer the not-from-concentrate juice, but it costs a bit more.
You can also get the actual concentrate, which can let you get a bit more apple into the same volume of brew but inevitably also ups the sugar.

Latest posts

Back