Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that have done both this kit and Festival's Razorback how do you think they compare (if at all)? Razorback is the only IPA kit I've done so far (twice) and it's one of my favourite beers (and definitely the best kit I've tried). I've just started Evil Dog IPA at the weekend (first Bulldog kit too) and though the description appeals (I guess I wouldn't have bought it otherwise) I'm not too sure what I'll be getting! The nearest I can think of was one from a recent beer festival - Great Heck Brewery's Yakima IPA (7.4%) which was an interesting one to say the least :) Are there other IPA kits you would recommend?

your right slid it is a nice drink to drink young. is it worth conditioning for ten months? no it dosn't get any better from a 3 months conditioning.
the only reason mine is 10 months old is i forgot i had them:doh:

LOL - Nice one, Les :D

Since I use PET bottles, I doubt anything is going to last much beyond 3 months.

DBG400,
they do not compare at all. I have done both and they were completely different brews. I guess it would be up to personal taste to choose between them, but I would choose Razorback any day of the week. On the other hand some of my mates asked my few times to do that 'citrusy one' (they mean Evil Dog). ED is dryer (mine finished at 1003) and very citrusy with floral taste to it. It needed about 2 months to develop a good body as was quite watery when young and to loose that up-front alcohol taste. Hoppy but nothing spectacular. Razorback has more tropical fruity taste, more body, better balanced and the amazing aroma just smacks you in the face. Bursting with hops and much bitter. All in all, dont think I will do the Dog again, Razorback on regular shopping list. Hope it helps

Thanks for that. I think beating Razorback will take some doing, at least as far as kits go. I'll be able to do the comparison myself, but not for a few months yet.

Just bought this kit too, so will be kicking it off at some stage soon. Think I'm going to brew as per instructions but add the hops a little later so the beer should be a litte more hoppy then by standard.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, I am currently brewing the Bulldogs evil dog double ipa! I'm getting to the point of adding the hops! There are 2 packets! Simcoe and summit? Which do you guys recommend or should I add both. Thanks phil

Instructions say to add both which is what I'll do as several others have said that the hoppy notes are subtle rather than big.
But if you want a hoppy beer it's important to add late in fermentation. Recommendation is two days before activity ceases but this can be hard to judge as this brew seems to take longer to fully ferment out than the instructions suggest.

I have used both bags of hops in two brews and can confirm that the hops are not overpowering when added late in the fermentation. I also find that fermentation takes a lot longer than the instructions suggest even when carried out at 68 to 70 degrees F.

Just had the weekend in North wales. I thought I would pop in to "mavis marvellous moonshine "
Home brew shop http://www.rhylhomebrew.co.uk
Which is in Rhyl not far from family I have in Wales . I have never bee in the shop just thought I would pop in and have a look. Not expecting to buy.
Well I was given a taster of evil dog double ipa.
After the first sip I just said get us a kit of the shelf I will have one. It tasted brilliant.

I'm going to start this one over the weekend

Of the five kits I've done, the one that gets top marks from everyone is the Evil Dog. Took a bit longer to mature and lose the 'raw alcohol' taste but since then it has been a winner. Will try a Razorback next due to the good reviews but it will have to be exceptional to top this.

Well i've just moved mine from the house to the garage to crash cool, hopefully the sediment will drop out as it is very cloudy, It started off with an OG of 1060 and took two weeks with a heater belt at 23 degrees to give a final gravity of 1006 a respectable 7.2% by my reckoning :wink:
The hop aroma and flavour are brilliant, probably the best kit i've made! transfer it to a Corny when it clears and then force carb it should really be worth the wait :drink:

Started this kit off last Tuesday and its already down to 1.010!

I've stuck the hop pellets in and hopefully should be kegging it on Christmas Eve. Had a taste and it tasted really good, nice and citrusy with a bit of a "hot" alcohol edge, which hopefully should mellow as it conditions.

Ben, friendly word of caution.
Several of us who've brewed Evil Dog found that it takes way longer to reach fg than the instructions suggest.
Mine took 3.5 weeks which apparently isn't unusual.

Cheers for letting me know! Can't imagine it dropping too much more but I'll keep an eye on it.

Just tasted a pint that I'd primed and bottled just over a week ago (Bottled what wouldn't fit in a corny)
This has been conditioning in a warm room and has already carbed up very nicely :)
It is still young and a bit cloudy but the taste is great! a really good citrus hit from the hops and a good mouth feel, the alcohol does really hit you but hopefully it will settle down a bit :lol: certainly not a session ale !!

I started off an Evil dog on the 2nd of Jan. I think the yeast must be less tolerant than most of lower temps as it only really got going when my wife was off sick during the week and she had the heating on full blast.

Anyway only in the last couple of days has it built up a lot of froth and making the lock bubble every 60 seconds or so.

I've almost drank all my leg of this. First kit I've done for a few years and I've got to say it's one of the nicest beers I've drank I'd say. Gets better as you leave it too. Hard to do I found but what I'm drinking now towards end of batch is lovely. Cleared and very tasty!! Mine ended up about 8.5% so it's rocket fuel but it's bloody good!! My mrs, sceptical of my beer making adventure has even said shed happily pay for it at a bar!! Need to build a bar quick and cash in!!!

Hi Bbb, how long before it became really delicious? I tried a couple of mine last week after a month in the bottle and, whilst already nice, I think they still have a long way to condition.

Back