Ghost Ship (ish) AG Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HisDudeness

Reaction score
Been threatening to do a Ghost ship clone for a while and got it going today, not so much a clone though as an interpretation of the recipes posted elsewhere. Wanted to crank up the hops a bit and also a saw a recipe Clibit posted with some additional cascade which seemed like a good idea so whacked some of that in and increased the late additions and dry hop. Here's the full recipe

10L

OG 1.045 (72% eff)
FG 1.011 (will probably be lower based on last 2 brews with Adnams yeast)
ABV 4.5%
IBU 35.8
SRM 9.7

Grain
1.7kg MO
100g Crystal Rye
100g Crystal Malt 40L
100g Torrified Wheat

Hops
Admiral 14.8% 5g @ 60m
Cascade 7.8% 5g @ 10m
Citra 12.5% 10g @ 10m
Cascade 7.8% 5g @ 0m
Citra 12.5% 25g @ 0m
Cascade 7.8% 10g @ 5 day dry hop
Citra 12.5% 25g @ 5 day dry hop

Yeast Adnams

Brew went well and hit target OG, pitched the dregs from my Rye IPA that I saved (Adnams yeast) and it was off a running in a few hours with a krausen forming already.

Last 2 brews with this yeast went down to 1.006 so I am expecting it to actually end up over 5% ABV

Forgot to do pictures on this one so I will leave it up to your imaginations!

Sounds great, i love ghost ship! how do you go about dry hopping, I've heard it can be another addition to infection

Sounds great, i love ghost ship! how do you go about dry hopping, I've heard it can be another addition to infection

Generally hops are put into fermentation vessel after primary ferment is done and left for a set period, in this case 5 days before racking off and bottling or barreling as usual. Should not be a cause of infection unless hops are poor condition or stored/handled badly prior to use, in fact hops are naturally anti bacterial. You do need to open FV to do this which always carries some risk of introducing infection but I have not had any problems myself or seen anyone else who has had an infection directly attributed to dry hopping

Had a little taster from the trial jar just now (down to about 1.008 at moment) and it was a citrus sensation! It's got some elements of ghost ship there but this is definitely going to be a bigger hoppier cousin of that beer leaning much more towards an American Pale I think which is good as I wanted an amplified version of the original. Few more days and then dry hop I think cant wait to get it bottled!

Bottled it today finished at 1.006 so 5.2%, got 9.5l with trub losses which was pretty good and it tastes decent already. Now to see if I can hold out for a month to try it!

image.jpg

Nearly held out for the full 4 weeks conditioning and it's turned out very nice indeed, as mentioned before it's more like a Ghost Ship tribute than a clone but it's a great beer in its own right and it has a more prominent hoppiness than the original, loads of fresh citrus orange and grapefruit flavour but with a bit of spice from the rye which I think is accented by the Adnams yeast. I will definitely be making more of this one!

image.jpg

I'm just trying this, but a few small mods.

1. I don't have Crystal Rye so I'm ommiting that
2. Swapped Torrified Wheat for Carapils.

When I went to the LHBS, i swore i had a shopping list, but didn't, and came out without Admiral hops.
However, I googled them and they appear to be a cross between Challenger and Northdown.
I have Challenger, so I'm swapping Admiral for Challenger.
The Alpha Acids on Challenger are a little lower than Admiral, so I've upped the dosage from 14g to 23g.
Having said that, I've also upscaled as I'm doing a 21 litre brew.

Hopefully, it will turn out OK,

Should be great, keep us posted. I only used admiral to save more citra for later additions and as you say challenger is similar so shouldn't make much difference

I screwed up with the hops.
I measured out Challenger, Citra and Cascade, and put them all in the same bowl ready for the boil, only to realise that the Challenger was for the full boil and the Citra & Cascade were for the last 10 minutes.

Of course it was too late now.

So I measured out what Challenger I had left, and added a few spoons from the mix above to make up to the required amount.
This went in at the start of the boil.
Then part of the mix went in at 10 miniutes with the rest going in post boil.

I'll never in a month of Sundays recreate this, so lets hope it's awful :lol:.
Smells blooming lovelly.

I screwed up with the hops.
I measured out Challenger, Citra and Cascade, and put them all in the same bowl ready for the boil, only to realise that the Challenger was for the full boil and the Citra & Cascade were for the last 10 minutes.

Of course it was too late now.

So I measured out what Challenger I had left, and added a few spoons from the mix above to make up to the required amount.
This went in at the start of the boil.
Then part of the mix went in at 10 miniutes with the rest going in post boil.

I'll never in a month of Sundays recreate this, so lets hope it's awful :lol:.
Smells blooming lovelly.

Outcomes will be good, for sure, as none of these hops are likely to be Alpha deficeint, so decent bittering.

Then, you will have plenty of aroma hops for what you want.

Been threatening to do a Ghost ship clone for a while and got it going today, not so much a clone though as an interpretation of the recipes posted elsewhere. Wanted to crank up the hops a bit and also a saw a recipe Clibit posted with some additional cascade which seemed like a good idea so whacked some of that in and increased the late additions and dry hop. Here's the full recipe

10L

OG 1.045 (72% eff)
FG 1.011 (will probably be lower based on last 2 brews with Adnams yeast)
ABV 4.5%
IBU 35.8
SRM 9.7

Grain
1.7kg MO
100g Crystal Rye
100g Crystal Malt 40L
100g Torrified Wheat

Hops
Admiral 14.8% 5g @ 60m
Cascade 7.8% 5g @ 10m
Citra 12.5% 10g @ 10m
Cascade 7.8% 5g @ 0m
Citra 12.5% 25g @ 0m
Cascade 7.8% 10g @ 5 day dry hop
Citra 12.5% 25g @ 5 day dry hop

Yeast Adnams

Brew went well and hit target OG, pitched the dregs from my Rye IPA that I saved (Adnams yeast) and it was off a running in a few hours with a krausen forming already.

Last 2 brews with this yeast went down to 1.006 so I am expecting it to actually end up over 5% ABV

Forgot to do pictures on this one so I will leave it up to your imaginations!

Hi Dudeness - this looks like exactly the recipe I'm after for an excellently Hoppy beer! I'm probably going to have a go over Easter - planning on having a few brews to get used to my AG kit, moving up from kit brewing.

One quick question - where you've added the times next to the hop additions, is that 'time left' or time from start of boil.

Thanks,

'Hound

(PS - just noticed you're in Bedford! Lucky us eh :lol:)

Yep time left, good choice it came out great for me. It's hoppier than the real thing but did taste very similar. The yeast is quite important for getting an authentic Adnams flavour but if you are happy with a nice citrusy APA style beer it will still be good using a standard yeast like Gervin or US05. I have just bottled an even hoppier version with added centennial the citrus aroma coming off it was amazing!

Good to see another bedfordian on here! Whoever coined the term Paris on the Ouse was definitely on a wind up :lol:

Latest posts

Back