Mead recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egorski

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been making mead for awhile and sometimes my brews come out with a slight chemical taste. I think this is because i use equal parts of tronozymol and youngs nutrient.

Was wondering if i could drop one of these (the tronozymol or youngs) or reduce the quantities.

I use lalvin 71b yeast and typically aim for a dry mead. For a typical gallon brew i will use 10ml trono plus 10 ml youngs. 14percent alcohol with 1.005 SG at wnd fermentation.

Be great to know of any recommendations from the wine community. Can i remove trono or youngs?

Thanks in advance

Egorski

You don't need 2 different nutrients, I'd drop the youngs as tronozymol is better.
It's also recommended for mead to step feed the nutrient in 3 parts as it makes the yeasts job easier
Check out this page for further information http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=429241

I'd also drop the youngs and either stick with trono or try fermaid k and rehhydrate the yeast with go-ferm.. Not sure if there is any stock of the latter2 in the UK at the moment..Hop and Grape are waiting for some to arrive from the US.

and do the sequential nutrient addition per Mikey comments. Some of the US folks also add potassium carbonate 6 grams for a 19ltr batch since they think it aids the fermentation.

Thats great. Thanks for the advice.

Will give this a go over xmas when the kids are otherwise engaged (only way to get free time)

One other quickie. I like my meads on the dry side with little or no sweetness. I fund others like this too. I am a beekeeper and my honey tends to be quite strong flavoured. I normally ferment to the alcohol limit of the yeast....but am considering reducing thr amount of honey which will ultimately reduce the alcohol content (this is good too). However, i will have yeast that would essentially stop fermenting at 12 percent in a lower percentage mead - is this a problem? Do i need to stabilize the yeast after ferment?

I am also going to introduce medium toast oak too so if anyone has any experience.... I would love to hear?

The ultimate goal is a milder tasting. Slightly oaky, less alcohol and hopefully saprkling mead (bottle ferment for sparkle)

Thanks in advance

Greg

hi Greg,
I'm a mead newbie in that I've only done one batch , though I did a lot of research beforehand and it came out great..if a little on the sweet side. Was Spanish Orange Blossom honey I used ...about 17lb for a 21ltr batch...ended up 14.6% abv and a bit sweet but with amazing aroma, flavour and mouth feel. Next one I do I'm going to aim for medium dry...I was going to do this by reducing the amount of honey...maybe to 12 or 13lb, but use the same yeast (lalvin 71b-1122) and let it ferment to completion. If you want to bottle carbonate yours you really need to let the fermentation go to completion, then prime the bottles with known amount of sugar (honey). I'd reduce your honey and let the fermentation go to completion using the same yeast, then bottle carbonate. I'm not sure how easy it to bottle carbonate is to since most of the yeast will have settled during clearing (compared with beer where there's still loads in there when you bottle). Might have to research that.

Thanks for the info.

I have bottle carbonated before and am using the same yeast as you. I had no problems and the carbonation worked out really well.

Incidentally, the best recipes i have tried so fay are the cysers. You substitute water for apple juice. Really good! Next batch will follow same approach with less honey and oak

Latest posts

Back