Brewnight: Blackcurrant & Apple WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening all......

Popped on 25L of WOW tonight

6L Lidl Vitafit red grape
6L Lidl Vitafit apple
2 x 440ml Lowicz blackcurrant syrup
5tsp pectolase
4kg sugar
1L strong tea
topped up to 25L with cold water
4tsp youngs super wine yeast compound

method...

Make up 1L of strong tea (5 teabag)

Warmed up 2L of juice with sugar in a pan until dissolved (10 mins )

While that was warming, tip juice cartons into FV with pectolase (dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water)

Tip in tea and sugar/juice solution

Top up with cold water out of the tap to 25L..... temp was 22deg 😃

Hydrometer says SG 1.095 (13.7%, when ferm out to 0.990)

Bung on yeast

Stick FV in cupboard.... perfick 😀

I have been looking at making some wow with syrup. I only have a dj going to have to get a fv can I just divide everything by 5 to get a 5 litre recipe

I have been looking at making some wow with syrup. I only have a dj going to have to get a fv can I just divide everything by 5 to get a 5 litre recipe
pretty much.... if using the same yeast, maybe 1 heaped teaspoon

what do you reckon chippy ?

yeah just a tsp wine yeast, maybe easier to use 1L RGJ and 1L Apple rather than splitting cartons to get the exact division by five of 1.2L though.

I'm going to nip down to our local polish shop to see what syrup they have in tomorrow and hopefully get a start on this. Thanks for your help

thanks for the offer mate I think you are abit away from me ill have to get hold of one and start making some bigger batches how much of the syrup would you put in a dj

racked it... at last !

1e97ba315d190cba78b445321881477f.jpg

put some Kwik clear finings in on the 29th but still not cleared, so repeated today

What may have been the cause was that it was longer than 30 mins in between adding part A and part B (I went out with the dog and forgot I had to wait for part B)

If it works ok with the second treatment then I'll have proved that the 30 min gap is significant !!

I have added it sooner than 30 minutes and it worked but never the other way, it will be interesting to see if it clears, was more cloudy than other wines you have made?

Latest posts

Back