Beerworks Presidents Sierra American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazaman

Reaction score
Had this in the fv for exactly a week now and its still chugging away nicely.
http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/sierra/
I tried a sample in my LHBS and it suited my tastes perfectly and at under 22 quid it seemed an absolute bargain.
My last brew was a youngs American ipa that, although had a decent hop hit, I managed to ruin by rushing and introducing unwanted yeast into my bottles.
Now although this kit doesn't come supplied with the same impressive mix of hops that the YAIPA did, I was still impressed with the hop hit given from the supplied pack of citra hops pellets.

My OG reading was 1.052 after (unintentionally) topping up the fv to 24 litres and has been left undisturbed for the last week and will remain so for another week or until fermenting has stopped (whichever is longest).
I cant take pics of the brew at the min as I really don't want to disturb it.
However here it is now doing its thing in the fv
IMG_0153.jpg

I going to have to keep an eye on this one though as it seems a little lively (and overfilling wont have helped)
This was the airlock when I got home from work
IMG_0151.jpg

I'll updated this thread as I go and fingers crossed, it will all go to plan:grin:

Gaz

Had this in the fv for exactly a week now and its still chugging away nicely.
http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/sierra/
I tried a sample in my LHBS and it suited my tastes perfectly and at under 22 quid it seemed an absolute bargain.
My last brew was a youngs American ipa that, although had a decent hop hit, I managed to ruin by rushing and introducing unwanted yeast into my bottles.
Now although this kit doesn't come supplied with the same impressive mix of hops that the YAIPA did, I was still impressed with the hop hit given from the supplied pack of citra hops pellets.

My OG reading was 1.052 after (unintentionally) topping up the fv to 24 litres and has been left undisturbed for the last week and will remain so for another week or until fermenting has stopped (whichever is longest).
I cant take pics of the brew at the min as I really don't want to disturb it.
However here it is now doing its thing in the fv
View attachment 7722

I going to have to keep an eye on this one though as it seems a little lively (and overfilling wont have helped)
This was the airlock when I got home from work
View attachment 7723

I'll updated this thread as I go and fingers crossed, it will all go to plan:grin:

Gaz

The airlock looks like something from "The Thing from Outer Space." :rolleyes:

Right, it looks like primary is coming to an end so I'm going to think about adding the hops soon.
The instructions state the following:-
On day 5.
8. To do this, empty the hops into a clean 1 litre jug, use a knife to break them up (for around 1 minute) then add 500ml of boiling water. Continue to use the knife to pulverise the hops in the water for a further 2 minutes then use a large spoon to transfer just the hops into your beer, leaving the liquid behind (don’t worry if a few hops remain in the jug). Leave the bucket lid open for as little time as possible to prevent contamination. Do not stir the bucket contents. Reseal the lid and do not open again until:
- Day 10 for Group A. - Day 13 for Group B. - Day 15 for Group C.

Is this a normal way of adding hops? I've only done the one kit before this and I simply just added to hop pellets and left alone as instructed.

Right, it looks like primary is coming to an end so I'm going to think about adding the hops soon.
The instructions state the following:-
On day 5.
8. To do this, empty the hops into a clean 1 litre jug, use a knife to break them up (for around 1 minute) then add 500ml of boiling water. Continue to use the knife to pulverise the hops in the water for a further 2 minutes then use a large spoon to transfer just the hops into your beer, leaving the liquid behind (don’t worry if a few hops remain in the jug). Leave the bucket lid open for as little time as possible to prevent contamination. Do not stir the bucket contents. Reseal the lid and do not open again until:
- Day 10 for Group A. - Day 13 for Group B. - Day 15 for Group C.

Is this a normal way of adding hops? I've only done the one kit before this and I simply just added to hop pellets and left alone as instructed.

There seem to be lots of ways of adding hops. With the above kits from LoveBrewing, I crumble the hops into a jug as they come out of the packet. This is quicker than using a knife and the packet makes sure that my grubby mitts don't come into contact with the hops. I add the boiling water, stir, let it cool a little and then spoon it into the FV, trying to spread it evenly.

Got home from work yesterday and it seemed to have woken up so I've decided to leave it a couple more days before adding the hops. I'll see how it looks tomorrow and update from there.
Gaz

How are you getting on? I've done a Beerworks Rocket IPA and just put on their Spire IPA today, so I'm interested in how yours is doing.

Latest posts

Back