Tanglefoot brew-a-long

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hardly needed to strain at all (except for the bit of sponge that i used to scrub the parsnips there was hardly any pulp from my veggies). tho i did sit with them all the time watching they didnt go to mush. Got a nice clear liquor, waiting for it to cool down now. And a mountain of boiled parsnips (guess whats for dinner for the next few nights ;-) )

parsnip and feta cheese fritters, SWMBO made a belter here! touch of tabasco yummy

P - they sound lovely :clap:

I recon I could box 2 or 3 of them off now :thumb:

i hope crE reads this so he doesnt chuck his parsnips after boiling.
They'll also be perfect for roasting, lovely and soft with a crispy coating when basted

progress report:

added my yeast this evening and now the brew has gone cloudy, from being beautifully clear.
lovely smell of parsnips still.
i expect to see some bubbling tomorrow but as yet, in my chilly brewing room, its quiet.

Roast parsnips, with a side of chicken tomorrow for tea :lol:

Although I'll be putting my FV in a warmer place a round 19'c - 20'c. May see more vigourous fermentation percy, I dont know.

Just got my parsnips out the freezer so hope they will defrost by tomorrow! I'll keep you updated!!

hey crE

glad to see you are still checking this thread.

i deduce from all my online searches, that freezing your parsnips shouldn't adversly affect your brew. Glad to see you are still going ahead.

Details:
I cut out any part of the parsnips that was discoloured or slimey. i cut my parsnips into slices that were about 1 inch thick maximum, didn't peel but scrubbed well. they were boiled for about 20 minutes (got water boiling before adding parsnips then simmered) and i noticed that the middle of each slice had split after around 15-20 mins. They stayed whole and didn't break up (i wanted to avoid overcooking - pectin haze - , but also wanted to extract as much sugar and flavour as possible). Because of my procedure the sieve was pretty much redundant but still used as a safe-guard. i started fermenting with a crystal clear liquor that had an OG around 1100 (difficult to pin it down exactly 'cos i broke my hydrometer, but i measured it at around 1096 at 35'c ish after adding sugar (3.6 kg in 3 gallons - i hope you saw the edit on the basic recipe). some gravity was added from boiling the parsnips. can't say how much of it was sugars and if they were available to yeast, it was only a few points anyway. i used sauterns yeast (had a choice of a few varieties but took advice that narrowed it down to a variety that i had been advised - from experience - was good for country wines, and guessed white rather than red would be good). Let the pectic enzyme do its work for a bit less than 24 hours before chucking in the yeast. Added a little tartaric acid as i read it boosts polish and aroma/flavour. Used campden powder at the same time (ish) as the enzyme to get rid of potential nasties and also de-chlorinate the small amount of added water that had not been boiled. if all goes well then i may have a tastey wine with an ABV around 14%. but we'll only know in a year. i hope you are still around then to compare notes and results.

because of the pectin this is possibly my most adventurous brew. i usually steer clear of high pectin loaded ingredients. And this is one reason for the detail i have gone into. If this works out for you crE then i reckon it's a great confidence booster and you'll be up for trying anything and everything. if not, don't be discouraged, you will have had great cider, beer and wine results from the brews you have got going in the meantime. if it does work out then raise your glass with me and salute a sky is the limit attitude.

if you still have questions then ask away. there's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer, and we are both embarking on an journey into the unknown. I'm not an expert but my successful brewing experiences have lead me to branching out and trying this recipe.

happy brewing

Hey perci!

I'm all ready to do the brew. Just got the parsnips out the freezer. I hope youre right about the freezing! They have an odd texture at the minute. Quite rubbery and bouncey to touch, when usually they are hard :?

Who knows. I think I'm going to the brewshop to pick up some tataric acid.

If I have time I'll have a read through this new book of berry's that I've just got "130 new wine recipes" and see if theres any reduced fruit or veg down at asda on offer.

I'll try and take some pictures!

Cheers :cheers: ,

crE

hmm, don't like the sound of rubbery parsnips. they may break up fast and release a heap of pectin? hope not tho.

Eeeep, I've done it anyway. Its looking good. Its on the boil now for 45 minutes than I'll be putting it back into the FV.

I'll be posting pictures and stuff soon!

Just finished the boiling. Had to ad just over a litre of water to the mix to get it back up to a gallon..

What do you reckon I should do? Add a little more sugar?

I added 1.3kg just before the 45min boil.

Perci help!

you prolly have enough sugar already, but it depends on how strong you want your wine, just personal preferences i guess. have a play with your hydrometer and look up tables for OG and ABV, then go for it however you want. i guess you are making 1 gallon?

Cheers dude,

Just added another 200g of sugar to the mix.

Made it up to a nice 1.110! Hopefully up to 15ABV if the yeast is feeling randy!

Looking forward to it! (nexy year :eek: )

Well it seems we've started off with very similar brews

my yeast has got going nicely now, its not vigorous yet but its making a nice fizzing sound. Always nice when things follow familiar patterns when you are doing a new brew. It seemed a little slow getting started but that's probably just my chilly brewing room.

Yes indeed!

I've got a nice fizzling sound and a good froth starting on top. I guess its because its in a room 21'c most of the time. Ideal temperature according to berry.

Will keep you posted! And upload the pictures when I can be arsed :cool:

flakey internet connection at this end. keep posting your updates mate, i may not be around for a few days tho.

Back