Bittering hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metacomet

Reaction score
What's your preference for bittering hops? Do you have one you always use, or do you change it depending on the style you're brewing?

I ask as I recently bought a bag of Admiral (16%) which I used purely for bittering purposes in my last 4 or 5 brews. I see a lot of US forums using Magnum for bittering in different styles.
Still being a novice, I started out trying as many different grains and hops as I could my mitts on, I'm now getting to the point that I want to start figuring out what exactly each ingredient/hop does.
I've got a pale ale fermenting using all Cascade part from the Admiral for bittering. If it's as good as the sample indicates, I'd like to use the same base but experiment with different flavour hops.
So should I just continue buying any cheap high AA hop for bittering (I don't want to be using Citra at the start of the boil) or should I be trying to match it to the rest of the recipe?

Wish I could help you but I’m in the same boat,I’ve got a pack of these in the freezer but not sure

C0FBEC69-3BCE-4130-A3B8-29CA90A20A1F.jpg

Wish I could help you but I’m in the same boat,I’ve got a pack of these in the freezer but not sure

You've just remind me about the Pacific Gem hops I bought on a whim because they sounded interesting. Still no idea what recipe to use the in!

I used them as late additions and dry hop in a recent brew,lovely. Have heard bad reports about them as bittering however.
My favourite are Challenger:thumb:

My favourite are Challenger:thumb:

Mine too... along with Target. All these new hops are well and good and I always try some which are new (to me) with every order. Some are great, some so-so and some no-no. But I'll never be without Target and Challenger!

I use Magnum for everything. High alpha acid so it works out cheap to use and low co-humolene so smooth bittering. Fairly clean and neutral as a bittering hop too

I use Magnum for everything. High alpha acid so it works out cheap to use and low co-humolene so smooth bittering. Fairly clean and neutral as a bittering hop too

Ye, I use it exclusively for chez Gunge stout - clean bitterness which allow the roasted malts to shine. Cheap too!

Magnum, Warrior and Nugget have all served me well. That said, I'm planning a Czech pilsner where I'll use all 3%AA Saaz.

Magnum, Warrior and Nugget have all served me well. That said, I'm planning a Czech pilsner where I'll use all 3%AA Saaz.

I'm not a fan of lager-style beer but made one recently just for a change. I used 100g of Ultra hops added throughout the boil, and it turned out jolly nice, even if I do say so myself!

I'm not a fan of lager-style beer but made one recently just for a change. I used 100g of Ultra hops added throughout the boil, and it turned out jolly nice, even if I do say so myself!

No, me neither but I've just built a brew fridge which can go down to lager temperatures and I'll be away over Christmas so I thought I'd put a Pilsner and a Munich dunkle to slowly ferment away while I'm gone. Best case scenario I'll be pleasantly surprised and get something refreshing for when the weather picks up, worst case I'll have some bland swill to give to undiscerning guests.

I dont do a long boil I chuck lottsa high AA in at the end to get the ibu up and keep some of the aroma flavour hoppiness. Having said that I've been squirting 6% aa extract in at fermentation time recently so only flame out, dry hop atm.

if your boiling for 60 theres not going to be any flavour/aroma left so it doesn't matter you use. cheapest high AA I suppose.

eg if 12% AA hops are £6 for 100g or 6% AA are £5 for 100g you'd be putting in twice as many 6% hops as the 12% ones so they'd work out dearer. Or am I missing something here?

I dont do a long boil I chuck lottsa high AA in at the end to get the ibu up and keep some of the aroma flavour hoppiness. Having said that I've been squirting 6% aa extract in at fermentation time recently so only flame out, dry hop atm.

if your boiling for 60 theres not going to be any flavour/aroma left so it doesn't matter you use. cheapest high AA I suppose.

eg if 12% AA hops are �£6 for 100g or 6% AA are �£5 for 100g you'd be putting in twice as many 6% hops as the 12% ones so they'd work out dearer. Or am I missing something here?

I've been reading up on this sort of thing today, has it happens. Brewing a strong English-type bitter tomorrow and the ol' stalwarts Target and Challenger are going in. First hop addition will be with 15 mins of the boil remaining, another at flameout and a third half an hour after switching boiler off. I'll be very interested, at least, to see how it turns out.

. . . if 12% AA hops are ��£6 for 100g or 6% AA are ��£5 for 100g you'd be putting in twice as many 6% hops as the 12% ones so they'd work out dearer. Or am I missing something here?

Hi!
Yes - 3.5oz @ 12% = 42 AAU
42 divided by 6(%) = 7oz
There's going to be no aroma oils left after even a short boil, and the same is probably true for flavour.
I'm with you - cheap high AA hops are best for bittering. Spend your money on the flavour and aroma hops.

Chinook and Target. Both dual purpose, both lovely in ales. Don't overhop Target late however, combine it with a comparable hop in late additions.
I love Chinook.

Magnum when I want smooth bitterness, chinook when I want more bite.

Back