Weather update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought you was going to say 1965.... Nuthing here in South Yorks except a few flakes in the wind. Been watching the radar and the northern extent must have stalled 5 miles from here... gutted cos I love snow. But! The same radar shows a great chunk turning back on itself on the east coast and heading straight for us. Looking good so long as it doesn't fizzle out en route.
1963................now that was real snow:thumb:

Yep, Tooting is getting a second 'barrage' right now. I'm expecting the army round to help clear the roads any minute now, I presume the COBRA committee is meeting as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah a Tootin gezzer eh!. Not far from where i was born in Southfields:).
It's actually snowing harder now than at any time today, still, i don't have to go out in it:mrgreen:

Happy to say that I survived the Great Snow of 2017 here in SW London. A light dusting before 10am now turned to slush by rain.

Hi!
Still, London would have ground to a halt.
Brings back memories of my teaching days in Dagenham - the school was so old it had outside lavs and they froze every winter - whoopee! Extra holidays.

Hi!
Still, London would have ground to a halt.
Brings back memories of my teaching days in Dagenham - the school was so old it had outside lavs and they froze every winter - whoopee! Extra holidays.
Ahhhh those were the days:lol:. No sitting inside at break times either,it was outside in the cold and get on with it:)

Not much snow in South Yorkshire. I went out earlier to get some fruit juice for brewing and there were people buying bread and milk. Has anybody tried wine on their cornflakes ?

Nothing here, they predicted heavy snow how can they get it so wrong so often.

nothing here, they predicted heavy snow how can they get it so wrong so often.

Cos they're shyte at their job. Ye I know it's an imprecise science etc etc but until they CAN nail it, don't bother. From the same nuts who predict xx degrees rise in temps a hundred years hence due to global warming but struggle to pin down the next few hours. Meanwhile, it's coming down fast here, now. Just like the real-time radar implied.

Cos they're shyte at their job. Ye I know it's an imprecise science etc etc but until they CAN nail it, don't bother. From the same nuts who predict xx degrees rise in temps a hundred years hence due to global warming but struggle to pin down the next few hours. Meanwhile, it's coming down fast here, now. Just like the real-time radar implied.

I would have thought with all the help they have these days they should be more accurate its not like the old days when you looked in the fields to see if the cows were all laying down or tapped the barometer glass :lol:

This guy seems to be the best predictor of long range weather. He's certainly had it right this year.
http://www.weatherwithouttechnology.co.uk/forecasts.html
For me there are a few things which suggest a long cold winter. Lots of holly berries. Birds flocking together; I saw 7 blackbirds in a tree from our back window this morning. The leaves have fallen from the oak trees rather than hanging around 'til the spring.
You have been warned!

This guy seems to be the best predictor of long range weather. He's certainly had it right this year.
http://www.weatherwithouttechnology.co.uk/forecasts.html
For me there are a few things which suggest a long cold winter. Lots of holly berries. Birds flocking together; I saw 7 blackbirds in a tree from our back window this morning. The leaves have fallen from the oak trees rather than hanging around 'til the spring.
You have been warned!
Any more good news?:lol:

Went to London for Saturday night, great night out at the Comedy Store, great meal in Gerrard St after.

Nine hours of motorway misery on the way back today not so much. Especially with two of us in the car with screaming hangovers and not so much as a bottle of water or a pack of polo mints to eat.

Hi!
Either your wife is a teacher or my sarcasm radar's on the blink.

I am a teacher in a Solihull School and believe me, I'm happy about the closures.

I am a teacher in a Solihull School and believe me, I'm happy about the closures.

What's so special about schools that they close when everything else carries on regardless? Not having a pop at you btw - I know it's out of your hands! But they didn't close when I was a kid in the 'proper' winters of the 70s. And even if it was like Greenland during a cold snap out there, I'd still be expected at work at 6am tomorrow.

What's so special about schools that they close when everything else carries on regardless? Not having a pop at you btw - I know it's out of your hands! But they didn't close when I was a kid in the 'proper' winters of the 70s. And even if it was like Greenland during a cold snap out there, I'd still be expected at work at 6am tomorrow.

Tell me about it, I remember a snowfall so deep we were shinning up drainpipes onto the rooftops and jumping off spreadeagled into 7 foot drifts. '79 or thereabouts that would have been. [I was, of course, still a pupil at that stage]

Don't let anybody tell you there's no money in education, our site staff have got [I wish I was joking] a quad bike to ride about the playgrounds spreading grit.

You can't blame the schools though, too many ambulance chasers persuading parents to take out lawsuits when a child sprains something doing PE in the rain has put paid to any chance of children ever being allowed to be children in the 21st Century.

I have tungsten carbide studded winter tyres for my push bike, there have been winters I was the only one who could actually manage the commute into school because I could cycle in no matter what. Bloody glad to have tomorrow off though.

Latest posts

Back