New IPA Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuggled

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve knocked together an IPA recipe, just wondering what other think as it’s the first one where I’ve completely made up my own recipe. It was based on other IPAs I’ve brewed, but I added some different grains and tried to do some different unusual hops which I know I like:

Flaked Oats 0.110kg
Pale Ale Malt 3.06kg
Munich Malt 0.230kg
Dark Wheat Malt 0.230kg
Caramunich III 0.230kg
Flaked Maize 0.110kg

Hops
35g Amarillo 60min boil
14g Simcoe 20min boil
28 Zythos 0mim
42 simcoe 0min
35 Amarillo 0min
70g Zythos 7day dry hop.

23litres
60min boil

What is your target abv? Also what yeast you using? Mash temperature? Also have you worked out the bitterness? Given that there’s a lot of information missing I’m sure it will be a decent beer especially if your using hops that you like the smell and taste of [emoji106] good luck and enjoy it [emoji2][emoji106]

It looks a bit out of balance for my tastes. I’ve popped it into Brewers Friend and it has 57 IBUs (excluding anything extracted from flameout) and an ABV of 4.4% (based on 75% efficiency, it could be less)

It’s all down to personal taste, and the specialty grains will help with the balance, but I’d be either bumping up the grain or toning down the 60min addition.

Hi both,
Thanks for the replies. I’m using Safale US-05 which I’ve always found to be good and reliable. I’m fermenting in a brew fridge at 18C for at least two weeks, but probs more like three.
The OG was 1.040 and I’m hoping to get it down to 1.008 so around at 4.2%.
My mash temp was 68C.
The program I put it in worked it out to be 47 IBUs... which I thought balanced ok with the IPA style, even though it’s a touch weaker abv wise than the normal.
Hmm... I suppose I’ll wait and see. It certainly smells good :)

Hi Fuggled
Sounds ok to me, there a few points though. Your attenuation calculation for the Safale US 05 is about 80% which you might struggle to achieve. Reason I say that is based on a few factors, the 68c mash was at the high end of the mash temperature band. You would have been extracting quite a few long chain sugars (trisaccharides), as you probably know they don’t break down too easily so don’t be surprised if your left with a slightly sweeter less attenuated beer. Also you never mentioned aerating or oxygenating the wort as that would have helped the yeast in the growth phase. I always rehydrate my yeast before pitching and get it as close to the wort fermentation temperature as possible as the yeast cells don’t like a large change in temperature, the shock can cause the cells to mutate. Also not rehydrating and pitching straight into the wort kills up to 50% of the yeast cells. It’s ok to do it so long as you know that half will die so pitch twice as many. Having said that I’m sure your beer will be very palatable, I do love a hoppy beer myself. Good luck with it and enjoy your spoils [emoji106]

Back