Rice hulls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordon Strong suggests they also help even out the temperature distribution throughout the mash tun by loosening the mash.

I used 200g rice hulls in a pumpkin ale and it stopped a stuck mash. Slowed it down but worked. They cost me £4 for 200g delivered so going to get some oat husks. £2.30 a kilo from maltmiller. Makes sense that they would even out the mash temps as well.

I've got some oat husks to try for the 1st time in my next attempt a a NEIPA with lots of flaked oats/barley (although latest bag of flaked oats from MM came with husks still on, so may not be too bad)
How much of the oat/rice husks do you all use ?
:cheers:

I've got some oat husks to try for the 1st time in my next attempt a a NEIPA with lots of flaked oats/barley (although latest bag of flaked oats from MM came with husks still on, so may not be too bad)
How much of the oat/rice husks do you all use ?
:cheers:

I use 200g of rice hulls or 300g of oat husks for a 5kg grain bill.

Another tip is to soak the rice/oat husks before hand. This has the benefit of both rinsing them from dust etc, and also reducing the amount of water they will absorb in the mash, saving you having to account for that in your water calcs.

Back