Semi-Turbo Cider!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been fretting over this for weeks1

Kept releiving pressure from the bottles every day for 1 month, and theyre still mayhem!

ive just seen you post minath, ive just turned them upside down and am going to wait 24hrs and do what you said :D

why dont you try the somerset method. Press your apples, stick it in an open topped barrel until the natural yeasts stop fizzin. add the carcass of a small but perfectly formed rodent of fowl. wait long enough for the carcass to melt into the brew. ( about a month im told).. drink some.... go blind.....

failing that ... throw in your cider yeast... wait till it stops fizzin .... stick it in a PET bottle..... chill the hell out of it.... drink some...... go blind

Mind you I have been at the apple products this evening and I have to say thank goodness Im a touch typist as I can no longer see the keyboard...

Well, after trying the method of turning the bottles upside down.. it ended up losing a lot of cider and not much yeast! relieved the pressure to one of the bottles and wooooosh, yeast shotup to the top again.

Thank god i only did it to one bottle!! - i really am at a loss to what to do! :hmm:

does the yeast lift at the slightest gas escape? no matter how slow?

i was wondering if you could (when you want to drink some) very, very carefully let out the gas, and transfer the contents to a jug for drinking when the time comes. or if the yeast still refuses to stay still when pouring, syphon it into a jug.

if the yeast really does refuse to stay still when you open the lid, the other option i suppose is the night before you plan on drinking a bottle is to open the cap without letting it spray everywhere, and leave the cap loose overnight or for a few hours before drinking, for the yeast to settle back down

Sorry for the bad advice, it hasn't worked for my cider either. Worked nicely for ginger beer before, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
The yeast lifts if there are bubbles - it is the bubbles that lift the yeast, they tend to stick to each other.
You could try getting it cold (so that a fair ammount of co2 is left in there) and letting off all the pressure, then make it colder, and try to pour it off the top...

I think I might have to drink mine still. On top of that, one bottle still hasn't cleared - it's been outside for ages (since I mentioned it in a post above), all through the snow and everything - I'm going to put it in the freezer and try not to split the bottle.

Hope it works out CrE.

minalth said:
On top of that, one bottle still hasn't cleared - it's been outside for ages (since I mentioned it in a post above), all through the snow and everything - I'm going to put it in the freezer and try not to split the bottle..

perhaps it's the being outside for ages that's the problem.... could be chill haze :hmm:

o_O Never heard of that before. I'll have to try bringing it in then...
Cheers BrewStew

Latest posts

Back