Splitting the wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,

I am new to brewing beer but have brewed wine and cider for a while now, so am fairly up to speed with brewing in general.

I am looking to brew a simple all grain beer to start me off. I have a stainless steel cooking pot large enough for the job however I do not have a fermentation vessel large enough.

My question is: Is there any reason the wort cannot be split into smaller batches once ready for fermentation I.e. into various 5 litre Demijohns?

I know that I can get a fermentation vessel for next to nothing and to split it would be a faff. I was just wondering (for my own interest) if there is a scientific reason to avoid doing this.

Thanks

no reason at all. However beers seem to do better in bulk and it would be better to have it in one vessel for fermenting.
Also splitting it does allow for the possibility of infection attacking one of the " splits "

Thanks. I will be buying fermenting vessel large enough. Just the age old question of glass or plastic.

Back