allinson yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi ...
just wondering if you can use allinson dried active yeast for kit brewing ...
i no its for baking but i did here on utube sone one used bread yeast to brew beer with great resalts ...
so i found this one up asda and thought i wonder if you can use this one ...

what do you think ...

if so how many grams would you use in a 40 pint brew s ...
heres a pic...
006-42_zps2a21e1dd.jpg

regards mick... :hat: .

I have only used bread yeast to brew Joes Ancient Orange Mead. It is currently clearing so can't comment on the taste yet.

If you want it to taste like an ale then no. Even though it is the same species of yeast it won't be the right strain to produce the flavour profile of a beer. 70% of the flavour in an ale comes from the yeast.

Give it a wirl but be prepared to have a beer kit which doesn't reach its full potential.

ok thanks for the answers i think ill give it a miss...
but im glade i asked...

I keep meaning to try bread yeast in cider and mead, I've heard it comes out quite nice in those, and doesn't destroy subtle flavours like wine or champagne yeast can (1tsp to a gallon, 1tbsp to 5gallon is the amount I'd use). I wouldn't use it in an ale though, as ale yeasts give the beer a certain taste.

I think it's easy to fall into the trap that yeast is yeast. While there are many different types of yeast, the main one we are interested in is Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is also the same as bread yeast. But like most things in life, it is not that simple. While most beer, wine and bread use the species, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the species has been divided into different strains with different characteristics. Bread yeast strains have been developed to rapidly produce co2 to raise the bread. The other bi-products including alcohol production are largely unimportant, as the baking will evaporate these. Beer and wine strains on the other hand are developed to enhance flavour or alcohol. CO2 being less important. There are lots of knowledgeable articles on the net, but using bread yeast to make beer and wine is like using a jack hammer to crack a nut, instead of a nut cracker. They both do the same thing, but the result is different.

I used Allinsons Yeast when I did my one and only turbo cider. It fermented out well and also carbonated nicely in the bottle too. The only downside was that it had the aroma of, well, bread (well its not like their isn't a clue on the tub).

I just used Allinson's yeast to make my first brew, 5L of ginger beer. At 65p for 125g it works out 3p per brew v. 90p for a 5g sachet of the only "proper" yeast I could find, so it was a no brainer for me. Seems to have done the trick, with the brewing pretty much finished in under 5 days!

Although I take on board the comments on ale flavour, re the queston of amounts of CO2 v. alcohol produced I am dubious since surely there is a simple reaction of 1 glucose -> 2 ethanol + 2 CO2, so I don't see how the proportions of alcohol v CO2 can be varied. I have read elsewhere that the difference is rather that bread yeast works fast but may produce more off-flavours than a slower-acting ale/wine yeast. As a newbie I'm not sure what "off flavours" entails though.

There are hundreds of compounds made during fermentation not just ethanol and co2.

And many different pathways to get to you simplified chemical equation. Hence the many different by products some good and some bad that are also produced dependent on enviromental conditions and yeast strain used.

Its not so clear cut, fermentation is very very complex.

:thumb: :thumb:

I've now used the Allinson's yeast in a number of brews, namely ginger beer, grapefruit beer, and orange/ginger wine. I also currently have some apple wine brewing using it. The conclusion I have come to is that for lightly-flavoured drinks like the grapefruit beer I made (1 litre grapefruit juice + 3.5 litres water & 350g sugar) it is not ideal as there is an odd odour to the drink which I have concluded is a vaguely bread-like odour though it is hard to define exactly, my first thought was it seemed slightly sulphurous. (The flavour of the beer is ok though if you avoid inhaling the weird aroma, and it certainly hits the spot alcohol-wise!) For stronger flavoured drinks like the orange/ginger wine (1 litre orange juice per dj + 50g powdered ginger) there was no problem. The ginger beer was somewhere in between. My inclination now though is to try a wine yeast for these types of drinks, unfortunately my local Wilko only sells wine yeast in expensive 5g sachets and I don't have a LHBS, but anyway once I get some I will try the grapefruit beer again and see how it differs.

You can make a 5 gram sachet of any yeast last for many gallons.

Just create a starter in a jar or bottle and when you come to add the starter yeast only pour in about two thirds of the liquid and keep the rest to culture by adding a little orange juice and two teaspoons of sugar and a quarter of a teaspoon of citric acid.

As long as you keep feeding the yeast it will carry on growing.

I've got a finished peach wine at 17% abv which I step fed, before the Allinsons yeast gave in.

It doesn't taste anything like peaches, just a strong alcohol Gob tingler.

I'm going to add a bottle of Lowiczs to take the edge off.

hi ...
just wondering if you can use allinson dried active yeast for kit brewing ...
i no its for baking but i did here on utube sone one used bread yeast to brew beer with great resalts ...
so i found this one up asda and thought i wonder if you can use this one ...

what do you think ...

if so how many grams would you use in a 40 pint brew s ...
heres a pic...
006-42_zps2a21e1dd.jpg

Allison's is like a moped, it's gets the job done, but it's not refined.
Like a nice car would be with leather seats aircon and an entertainment centre😁

It's sediment will be as fluffy a fluffy thing of McFluffy day. You b won't get any off flavours infact it will be quite neutral.

Yes it does have the power to alcohol to a reasonable level.

Use a dessert spoon full in a 40 pint kit.

But the kit beer will BE BETTER with its own supplied yeast. Or if you want to tinker CML yeasts are brilliant & very sensible money.

Bear in mind that in parts of eastern and northern Europe the yeast of choice for some farmhouse ales is just bread yeast. Biggest problem with it is that it doesn't settle onto the bottom of the bottle and stick there like a good ale yeast so it's almost impossible to pour a beer without getting yeast in it, and bread yeast tastes of bread obviously.
It's the same with other farmhouse yeasts of course such as saison or kveik but in those cases we use the yeasts especially because we want their flavours

Has anyone actually tried it?
It's a thing I've been meaning to do for ages so watch this space.

Back in the dark ages, I used to buy an Australian beer from Safeway. It came in oversize, clear bottles and it was impossible to pour a clear pint. I got it in my head that it was Little Creatures, but I think I;m probably wrong. And, it had a lovely, bready taste.

Latest posts

Back