My 1st EVER Extract brew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjobooboo

Reaction score
well after some dire results from kit brewing, lagers, I was ready to give up on the whole home brew hobby. The only kit that was good and drinkable was the Magnum strawberry cider, which the Missus polished off to herself over Xmas, I don't like Cider. So after long PM exchange with Pittsy, he said I should try extract brewing with the aim of moving up into BIAB/AG at a later date, he sent me this extract pilsner recipe.....Extract pilsner

3.00 kg Extra Light Dry Extract (5.9 EBC) Dry Extract 1 100.0 %
25.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 2 6.5 IBUs
15.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 3 1.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) [50.28 ml] Yeast 4 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 8.0 IBUs
Est Color: 6.3 EBC

Measured Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %

So today I gave it a go, really enjoyed doing it have a look here. http://s958.photobucket.com/user/philjo ... ract%20No1

good work! congrats on your first brew day, sounds like a fine beer.

you need to adjust quantities for your boil volume however, 8 IBU is very low, 15-20 IBU. Measure your boil volume as accurately as possible next time and input that into your brewing program. but don't worry about it this time, it'll be a good beer with a good hop flavour regardless.

Congratulations - reckon that'll turn out really nice. :D I've just done an Extract Plisner too, been slowly fermenting at 12C for the past 2 weeks and I've just brought it into the warm for a 2-day diacetyl rest.

Latest posts

Back