Coopers Stout (Triple Chocolate modification)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunken Horse

Still a Newb
Reaction score
Put this on last night.

1 can coopers stout.

Steeped 200g Chocolate malt for40 minutes
added
200g Lactose ( for mouth feel and sweetness for the chocolate flavour)
150g pure Cocoa powder
1.2 kg Dark LME

OG 1044

The triple chocolate will come from pure chocolate extract I'll be adding at bottling

The smells making it were fantastic. At this point I'm confident this will be my best beer yet.

Sounds good, how sweet will the end product be?

I have just ordered some equipment to get started (yes - I really am that new) and have ordered sa JD Bull Stout kit - the addition of Coco powder is intriguing.

I'm aiming for as close to a youngs double chocolate stout as possible.

. I've read that adding actual chocolate can cause problems with beer because of the fat content. Cocoa powder alone is very bitter so the lactose balances it out and gives a creamier mouth feel.

Depending on the flavour after primary I will decide on how much chocolate extract to add if at all.

First time I've done it so we'll see. Smells like chocolate cake at the minute want to just drink the whole Fv

Sounds an interesting brew - should have a very full flavour. Look forward to hearing the updates on this one.

Dave

Drunken Horse said:
... actual chocolate can cause problems with beer because of the fat content. Cocoa powder alone is very bitter so the lactose balances it out and gives a creamier mouth feel.
I added Green and blacks cocoa powder and Askeys milk chocolate flavour desert sauce (150ml of each I think), and 2 tablespoons of Rowse raspberry coulis, boiled up in water to dissolve it. Something split and i had fat floating on top. :doh:

I also added a beer enhancer (which clumped, so I'll disolve that it hot water next time) and brewed it short to 20L.

I can't taste the raspberry, and but you can taste the cocoa. It isn't really strong - I think a lot if it got left in the bucket - and it isn't sweet or creamy (I'll try adding lactose next time). The fat prevents a head from forming but it tastes ok.

I'll boil up the ingredients separately to see which one had the fat and leave it out next time.

I've just ordered some chocolate essence from balliihoo.

Latest posts

Back