Bad Moose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is planned for this evening, a fair crack at Mad Goose
by Purity Brewing, one of my favourite beers

Brew length 23L; efficiency 75% (Brewmate)

4178g Maris Otter (Crisps) 90%
325g Caragold 7%
139g Wheat malt 3%

32g Northern Brewer 9%AA at 90mins 30.1 IBU
18g Willamette 6.3%AA at 15mins 5.6 IBU
23g Cascade 6.8%AA at 10mins 5.6 IBU
30g Cascade at flameout 20mins at 80C

Boil 90mins; mash 90mins at 66C
CaCO3 to 30ppm; Ca to 180ppm with CaSO4
US-05 fermented at 20C

OG 1048; FG 1008; ABV 5.2%; IBU 41.3; EBC 7.9

Good luck with the brew made this thanks to you , turned out very well :thumb:

Looks interesting Will, I was thinking for next weeks brew of pairing Willemette and cascade but with cascade for bittering and willemette as late hop.

Bobbie B said:
Good luck with the brew made this thanks to you , turned out very well :thumb:

glad you liked it

dennisking said:
Looks interesting Will, I was thinking for next weeks brew of pairing Willemette and cascade but with cascade for bittering and willemette as late hop.

you could use Cascade at say 60mins and Willamette late will give you a bit of spicyness and a hint of blackcurrent

underletting with solar pump

hops, lovely sticky Cascade from our sponsers Easy Home Brew

Good Ed said:
This is planned for this evening, a fair crack at Mad Goose
by Purity Brewing, one of my favourite beers

Brew length 23L; efficiency 75% (Brewmate)

4178g Maris Otter (Crisps) 90%
325g Caragold 7%
139g Wheat malt 3%

32g Northern Brewer 9%AA at 90mins 30.1 IBU
18g Willamette 6.3%AA at 15mins 5.6 IBU
23g Cascade 6.8%AA at 10mins 5.6 IBU
30g Cascade at flameout 20mins at 80C

Boil 90mins; mash 90mins at 66C
CaCO3 to 30ppm; Ca to 180ppm with CaSO4
US-05 fermented at 20C

OG 1048; FG 1008; ABV 5.2%; IBU 41.3; EBC 7.9

Hi Ed

Going back through previous threads it looks like you've done several different versions of this. Which would you say is your favourite version and/or which do you think is closest to the original beer?

Cheers Tom

Well I've done this a few times, starting with AG#6, so I've used it as a bit of a learning curve. Also I read the label on the bottle that stated Hallertau hops, so I used Hallertau Hersbrucker and NZ Hallertau for bittering, before looking at their website and seeing that they meant Hallertau Northern Brewer :doh: But I've kept the Cascade and Willamette fairly constant, as well as the grain bill.

Also I started brewing this within the Blonde style guidelines at 28IBU, and did it 4 times like this with Hallertau Hersbrucker as bittering, and tinkering a bit with the rest, each batch turned out very nice. I then tried it with NZ Hallertau as bittering, which is a nice hop for using by itself, and upped the IBU's to 41. The first turned out good as usual but the next one wasn't so good, don't know why but used WLP001 instead of US-05. So for the latest I'm using NB and have gone back to US-05, I'm due to bottle on Friday, and will let you know how it tastes.

It's nice to be able to brew a beer that you like, know what the ingredients are, and to be able to fiddle around with the recipe. Quite honestly you can't go wrong with these ingredients however you do it.

Planning another Bombay IPA for my next brew btw :thumb:

Love this beer but have only managed to get it when we visit Birmingham :( I wish it were more widely available.......

I'll be having a go at this within the month, really looking forward to it.
I'll have to add Sara's IPA back to my rotation soon too, it's always a good banker :cheers:

Cheers Tom

Welp, Good Ed was kind enough to drop me a bottle off at work, which was a lovely surprise before a saturday night shift! I've cracked it open tonight.

First, I smell yeast and grapefruit. Carbonation is high, but just about right for a fizzy ale. I'm used to this on cask so bear with me.

The mouthfeel is perfect, just a little coating but not cloying at all, tiny bit of sweetness so I believe the mash temp is working well. The cascade only comes through in a whisker, I can make out of honey grass in the willamette too, the hops work perfectly together. decent lacing around the glass, lovely colour.

Whilst this is not an overly special beer, it is a perfect beer. It's fantastically quaffable and the grapefruit is just there, which suits me perfectly! I can't detect any real off flavours too, so your brewing process must be cracking :thumb:

All in all...I would order one, and go back for another, which is the real test of a great beer :lol:

Thanks for sharing this Ed, I'll make sure one of my brews makes its way to you soon :thumb:

oh, and a pic!

995291_10152141840643608_1846114435_n.jpg

cheers!

glad you enjoyed it Rob, I'm always tinkering with this, so we'll see how the next version goes, the only drawback is that my stock of it never lasts very long :D

Latest posts

Back