How much Treacle in Stout Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul1

Reaction score
Well, i have successfully brewed 2 batches of hime brew now. Thanks for the advice on previous threads. Have bought the coopers stout kit, plus 1kg bag of dark malt extract. Was planning to add black treacle as well, then bottle, primed with 1 carb drop per 500 ml.

Question: 1 tin(400g) of treacle sounds a lot for 23L, so how much shall i add? Also, i was planning to dissolve the spray malt in a pan of hot water before adding to the coopers kit in the FV. Is this okay, or shall i just chuck it all in together?

As ysual, any advice greatly appreciated!Ben

Hi Paul1,
I don't think this will help you much but here goes. This is my first attempt at home brewing. I bought the same kit and started it on 15/01/14. I used one can of coopers stout, 1kg of brew enhancer 2 and one tin of 450g black treacle, used all the tin of treacle. Filled the fermenter to 20L and got a OG reading of 1050. I just threw everything straight in the fermenter, gave it a jolly good stir and stuck it in an insulated box I made, with a heater from toolstation and set the thermostat to 19.5. It took a day and a half to really get going (its in my garage) but looked at it this evening and its foaming up nicely.
I followed the advice I got from this forum.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific.
Anyway good luck with your brew, Im sure someone will give you better advice.
Cheers

I used the full red tin of treacle (454g I think) for my coopers stout together with 1kg of brew enhancer 2, it has turned out really well.

Mine was brewed on 06/12/13 and bottled on 21/12/13, I primed each 500ml bottle with 1 carbonation drop, gave it two weeks in the warm and it has been sitting in the garage since.

I tried one about a week after it went into the cold and it was nice, but it is so much nicer now. Make sure you give it enough time to condition and you will be very happy with it :thumb:

:cheers:

Thanks for the clear advice. Hopefully when I have a bit more brewing experience I can pass on tips as well. Oh, and apologies for the typos in original post!

Going to go for the Stout next weekend, when i have bottled the Woodforde Nog currently in the FV.

ive just done coopers stout with whole tin of red tin treacle primed each 500ml bottle with one carb drop and 1/4 teaspoon of muscavado sugar drinking one as i write well nice for want of a better word will be brewing this one again to the same recipe
started 4/12/13 bottled on 11/12/13 two weeks inbedroom second fermention then two weeks in shed drinking now wonderful
og 1051 fg 1010 5.4abv approx

1 tin will be fine, a word of advice tho, treacle will thin the beer a little bit. i wouldn't add more than a tin in a 23l batch

I used one tin of red and didn't like the result at all... but I was just too impatient. A few months later it's fine. Bear in mind that even with the basic Coopers stout kit, it carries on improving for years. (Well, it carries on changing for years, whether you think it improves is a matter of personal taste.)

Latest posts

Back