boots pressure barrell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0160liddy

Reaction score
Hi all i have done a batch of brew for the first time in several years , i bought a boots pressure barell on ebay nice n cheap its got a co2 injector but i cant work out how it works, the bulb holder sits at right angle to the barrel opposite the bulb holder is a knob which pushes in on a spring, now is this knob a safety pressure release button or does it release co2 into the barrel when pushed , i realised after buying these things are as old as the hills i think its 1983, any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Is that the alloy barrel a.k.a Rolls Royce amongst the barrels? Congrats on your purchase.It think you bought the one I wanted to buy too (SWMBO wouldn't let me) The thingy with a spring is just a pressure relief, to load the CO2 just screw in the bulb using the holder till you hear the 'psssst'
PS:You can easily test what its for when you pressure test your barrel (something you need to do anyway before racking your beer to it)

hi, this is just a brown plastic barrel , so does this release valve work automatically or do you manually press it from time to time,

Test it (fill with water to the 5gal mark and use one bulb. You will have to test it for leaks anyway. I bet it releases the excess pressure automaticaly when it reaches certain level. If it lets you do it manually too it only is to help you to reduce the pressure inside the barrel if the tap dispenses too much foam (ergo there is too much pressure for your beer)Other than that its a safety measure to make sure you dont over pressurise the barrel to a point it bursts (be it the tap or the top)

yes i did pressure test and its been in use for a couple of days i got an anwer to my last post about a hour ago when i heard a hissing sound , like you say it releases automatically

Latest posts

Back