Coopers Stout kit advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archiethere

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first stout kit, I looked at a few recipes online and tweaked it a bit I went with the coopers stout kit, three vanilla pods steeped in bourbon for 2 days, 100g of cacao powder, 500g of dark brown Muscovado sugar and 500g of dark spray malt. It seemed to be bubbling away nicely for the first two days, I didn't see it on the third day because I was at works half way through the fourth day now, I've just had a look and it's not bubbling at all in the airlock, there's about an inch of sediment at the bottom. Have I done something wrong or it is this normal? The temp in the room is around the 20 degree mark which I read was the correct temp. Thanks in advance for your help!

In my experience the coopers kits (if you use the supplied sachet of yeast in the kit) do tend to ferment out quickly.

I would leave it for another few days then take a gravity reading with a hydrometer. If you are at 1010-1014 then its just about done. Would still leave for another week and check again (so its had 2 weeks in the FV) before bottling to aid clearing.

If you take a hydro reading and its much higher than 1014 then its still fermenting. Just because its stopped bubbling doesn't mean its not slowly still fermenting, a hydrometer is the only way to know for sure if its done.

Yeah most beers go through a yeast growth phase for 24 to 48 hours, then a mad phase to about day 4 then slow right down, the bulk of the fermentation completed, but carry on chugging away slowly for a few days, then the yeast has a phase of cleaning up the wort. I leave all mine for two weeks then check the gravity with a hydrometer.

Back