coopers pale ale not a lot of head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam

Regular.
Reaction score
Done a coopers Australian ale been bottled now for nearly 6 weeks 2 of those were in room temp. I've opened one and it tastes ok but not a lot of head with it and it goes flat looking is this normal for this sort of kit?

Could be a few variables to think about, how did you make up the kit? did you just add sugar or did you add some beer enhancer intstead or malt extract?

How did you prime and how much did you prime with?

Depending on temperature and how it was poured, I can have a highly carbonated beer with very little head. The head doesn't really tell you much. A quick test I devised is to stick my finger in the beer. You quickly see how carbonated it is.

1 tablet for? 500 ml bottle or the 740? If it's the 740, which comes with the coopers kit, they need 2.
How much enhancer did you use? Lots of enhancer packs are only 500 grams. Some of the coopers recipes call for 1 kg.

Yeah 500 ml bottles I've used and I used 1kg bag of enhancer.
Just don't know what's gone wrong I've done everything to the book .

The glass you are pouring into also has an effect on the carbonation I find. I've got a couple of Carling glasses and the beer goes absolutely mental in those, must be poured with care, and others where the beer just seems to die when it goes in.

A wet glass is a no no also. And lots of guys don't even use any washing up liquid on their beer glasses, as this apparently kills head. Just rinse with hot water and drain.

Yeah I think it could be glass I've got a couple of Stella glasses so I'll try them. And I've got Canadian blonde fermenting so I might try two carb drops or even try sugar this time.

Yeah I think it could be glass I've got a couple of Stella glasses so I'll try them. And I've got Canadian blonde fermenting so I might try two carb drops or even try sugar this time.

I've made the Canadian Blonde twice and used two carb drops in each 500ml on both occasions, gives a good level of carbonation.

Another thing to do is make sure your beer is well chilled before pouring.

Back