Messed up!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisnewton

Reaction score
Just done a lager kit and miss read the instructions, it said put 2 litres of boiling water in mix sugar and can contents, then top up to withing 3 litres of the mark with cold water and then for last 3 litres put a mixture of hot and cold.. I didn't notice this bit and have topped all the way to top with cold... I don't have a thermometer but I feel it's going to be to cold to start.

Is there any chance it might start?

So eight litre in total? What have you topped it up to? What kit is it?

Generally larger prefers colder ferment temps anyway.

It's coopers Australian lager kit.. I put 2 litres of boiling water in, then topped up all the way to 23 litres... When instructions said stop with cold water at 20 litres and top up to 23 with mixture of hot and cold

It will probably just take a few hours to get it back up to the right temperature. The yeast may start off a little slower but not by much I would imagine, just a few hours.

Put a blanket over it for now and resist the temptation to open it.

Don't keep opening it to look. Plz for the beer!

Just as a rough guide I did a kit with a few aditions on Saturday and heated 3 litres of water with all kit and aditions to 85c and threw that in the FV. I topped up too much and it was about 25.5 litres and temp was at 23c. I doubt your temp will be too low if 2 litres was boiling and topped up to 23 litres with cold. I would guess it's around 24 C. Only a guess though because my cold water is at 7 C.

I have this kit on the go as well, been in the FV for a week. I think your temp will just about be bang on, for the last 3 litres of my kit I had to add cold water to get the temp correct. So 3 litres boiling water and the rest cold

Well good news it's started! Bad news is I have only just noticed I only topped up to 20 litres and not 23!is it too late to throw some more water in? Or should I just leave it and accept less?

It's odd that you accidentally went 2 litres under and I went 2 litres over on my brew. Lucky for me I accidentally added an extra 500g of DME.

Back