Chocolate Malt Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyM

Reaction score
Just picked up a OS Coopers Stout in a sale. How's does this sound?

1.7kg OS stout
1kg Brew Enhancer 2
200g Chocolate Malt Steeped in boiled water for 30mins
200g Brown sugar

Is it worth adding the chocolate malt & will the taste be noticeable? Should the chocolate Malt be steeped in a Muslim bag or thrown in and strained off when adding to FV? I'm brewing this to around 22/23 litres and hoping for a 4% to 4.5% ABV

Any tips or advice welcome.

I did something very similar for Christmas 2014. The best kit i've ever done, went down very well with others too. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49782
- Thomas Coopers Irish Stout
- 500g Whole Chocolate Malt
- 500g Glucose
- 500g Dark DME
- Chocolate Liquer essence (not necessary - i didnt put it in some bottles and the beer was just as nice)

Yes the taste of the malt will be definately noticable. Dont be afraid that i added 500g and you're doing 200g, you will still taste it. Chocolate malt is a speciality malt, which provides more taste and colour than sugars.

Strain the malt however is easiest. I used a muslin bag but a sieve will do the same job

Good luck and enjoy!
Let us know how you get on

I think that it is best to boil any wort you get from steeping any grain. You don't really want to boil the grain itself, but there is no way that grain will be free from bacteria.

You just need to boil the steeping water from the crushed chocolate malt grains. Not the whole lot!

Good advice from Slid about boiling the liquid you've steeped the malt in once this has been strained.

I didn't realise this when I used choc malt in a couple stouts. Luckily I got away without an infected brew, but I lost two others which I steeped crystal malt in and didn't boil it. It's the only time I've suffered any issues with a brew. I tossed one batch and bottled the other - but no amount of conditioning will solve the underlying sulphur taste it has. Affectionately referred to as 'egg ale' it's going to take some time to work through all 46 bottles!

Latest posts

Back