Disaster!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to top up DJ's with cool boiled water (as i read that was the thing to do) i then read her someone didn't bother to boil tap water so i stopped, i have never had one go bad and i have made more than care to remember.

I used to brew with bottled water, but after tasting a friends beer after we both brewed the same kit, I thought his tasted better and he'd just used tap water! Of course, the difference could have been down to any number of different factors, but I've used tap water since and never had any issues so far.

(I do starsan my tin opener though - obviously read to much on this forum!)

I used to brew with bottled water, but after tasting a friends beer after we both brewed the same kit, I thought his tasted better and he'd just used tap water! Of course, the difference could have been down to any number of different factors, but I've used tap water since and never had any issues so far.

(I do starsan my tin opener though - obviously read to much on this forum!)

Starsan on the tin opener is a good move. I have a can opener for brewing, following the lead from Craig, off Craigtube. Might be a bit sad, but the truth is what people believe.

Always suck-started syphons. (Perk of the job)
Never sanitised a tin opener. (Trust the wife to have cleaned it enough)
Always used tap water. (Too tight to pay for bottled water)

However, I never return the contents of a trial jar. (I believe it is illegal, and must be drunk)
Never lost anything to infection. (Poured a couple away due to "misguided ingredients")
As posted previously, I feel that things are at their most vulnerable when first made, before yeast is introduced...

I think that any comment about water not being sterile was not used in the context of making beer but about propagating yeast. Water from the tap may not be sterile enough in the initial stages of growing yeast from bottles of beer but can quite happily be used for any other aspect of beer making.

Must have brewed at least 600 brews in my brewing lifetime and only had one go down the drain out of the barrel and always used tap water although I have a two way cold water tap with a filter on the one way which I rarely use,the thing being here which no one has mentioned is usually your cold water supply comes thru copper pipes unless you have the new plastic JG quick connect which copper is deadly to bacteria and is now being considered for such things as light switches in hospitals to combat the spread of infections as it kills them stone dead,so keep on using that old tap water its fine

Latest posts

Back