Sloe fruit Wine 2017

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
After doing a juice based sloe earlier this summer, picked 4lb of sloes and split into two batches. Started last night.

dj1 1kg of sloes
dj2 2lb of sloes

880g sugar
1.5 ltrs of rgj (might add another 0.5 ltr after first rack and off must)
1 tsp of citric, pectolase and powdered tannin.
1/2 tsp of wilko yeast nutrient
GV4 yeast.

Method, after washing sloes, into pan with camden and cold water for 24hrs. Then destalked and left for another 24hrs (not recommended, just lazyness on my part). Boiling water over sloes and simmered while crushing sloes as they softened, resulting liquid strained into dj's, boiling water over mash again and repeated thrice to get most of juice and flavour out.

880g of sugar added to each dj, disolved in 1/2 ltr of red grape juice for both.

Hoping to add more rgj after racking as there's still a bit of fruit material in the dj.

Fermenting away.

Managed to find a bush that was heavy with fruit locally picked 1.7kg, left a 1lb or two for the gin merchants to use :) So one gallon made.

Same method as above, except double strained this time before going in dj.

1.7kg Sloes
1 litre of rgj
1 kg sugar
1 tsp nutrient, citric and pectolase.
GV4 used

No tannin added as too much in fruit, 3lb is usually the max for a gallon.

Knocked up another batch last night.

Same method

800g sloes and 820g sugar
2 ltrs of rgj (320g sugar) (total sugar 1140g + sloe sugar)
1/2 tsp of tannin and wilko yeast nutrient
1 tsp of pectolase and citric acid
GV4 yeast used and fermenting away.

Racked for 1st time those started on 1.9.17/4.9.17. The first dj still had powerful drying taste that you get more from underipe sloes the second not as much and had started to change and the third with nearly 4lb of sloes tasted fantastic rich plum flavour and may be ready by xmas. Did not use a camden as they really need the malo/lactic bacteria to do it's job hoping some got in to them.

Interested to see how this turns out, we have loads around us and there is only so much gin/vodka you can make with it each year.

The more ripe they are the quicker to mature. They can take a good year or more if not fully ripe, last years had a year in the dj and were still not ready so they will probably have another year in the bottle.

Racked final dj, no camden. Progressing well, not too tart with malic, just heavy with tannin that needs to drop out.

I am envious - went looking for sloes in some places I have previously found loads but.... not a sausage! None. Don't know if I have left it too late and they've all dropped off, but seems its not a good year for sloes here in the north east uk.

I am envious - went looking for sloes in some places I have previously found loads but.... not a sausage! None. Don't know if I have left it too late and they've all dropped off, but seems its not a good year for sloes here in the north east uk.

hit and miss around here. i picked some a few weeks back that had no fruit on the past 3 year. load on them this year though :thumb:

Latest posts

Back