Help needed for Rhubarb and ginger wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve62

Reaction score
I have just been asked by a friend if I could make some rhubarb and ginger wine for him, any ideas on how to get the ginger into the wine??

Hi mate, I am just finishing 1 gallon of ginger wine. What I did was peel and grate 120g of ginger root, and boiled it with sugar and citric acid for 20 minute, then put it through a sieve into primary fermenter. Came out really gingery.

There's a recipe in First Steps for Ginger wine.
3 oz ginger
1lb sultanas
2 lb sugar
yeast and nutrient
1 gall water.
Put chopped ginger and minced sultanas into a bucket. Add boiling water and sugar and when cooled yeast and nutrient. Ferment for a week or so, then strain into a demijohn. I don't see the point in using rhubarb as you won't taste it anyway!

Hi mate, I am just finishing 1 gallon of ginger wine. What I did was peel and grate 120g of ginger root, and boiled it with sugar and citric acid for 20 minute, then put it through a sieve into primary fermenter. Came out really gingery.

Cheers mate :)

There's a recipe in First Steps for Ginger wine.
3 oz ginger
1lb sultanas
2 lb sugar
yeast and nutrient
1 gall water.
Put chopped ginger and minced sultanas into a bucket. Add boiling water and sugar and when cooled yeast and nutrient. Ferment for a week or so, then strain into a demijohn. I don't see the point in using rhubarb as you won't taste it anyway!

What my friend wants is a rhubarb wine with a hint of ginger, so perhaps if I use an ounce of chopped ginger? I guess it'll be trial and error.

Thanks for the recipe, I will make that in the future :)

I use one give to me by Dieseljockey

3 lb rhubarb
3 lb sugar
1 sachet general purpose wine yeast.

a couple of friends have tried it and love the taste
Apparently the dry titration method is best to avoid the excess of oxalic acid if too much rhubarb is used. Specific recipe:
4 lb rhubarb
2 lb sugar
yeast and nutrient.
Chop rhubarb, add dry sugar. After 24 hrs strain off and stir pulp in water to dissolve remaining sugar. Make up to 1 gallon with water. Add yeast and nutrient. This is an excellent wine for blending, as the flavour of rhubarb will be virtually lost. Try adding 2oz of chopped ginger to the rhubarb initially.

Latest posts

Back